Author Topic: Shot the Buff Classic today  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Shot the Buff Classic today
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
OK I finally got around to shooting the Buff Classic today. I only had about 30 rounds of Black Hills CAS ammo with 400 grain lead bullets that look to be swaged rather than cast. I'd guess they are moving no more than 1200-1250 fps but didn't chrono them.

Since I had limited ammo I didn't spend time shooting groups or push the range out beyond 25 yards. I just concentrated on getting it sighted in so that IF I decide to take it with me for a close range deer hunt this season it will be ready. I had to move the rear sight almost to the highest position to get it on at 25 yards. I suspect that there is not enough adjustment to raise it for shooting past 100 yards but then with the factory irons I suspect that's plenty far enough for me.

As it came to me the sight was a bit off center left to right and it needed to be moved back to a much closer to dead center position to get windage on. I might have to adjust that a bit more when I back it off to 50 and maybe 100 yards next time I shoot it. Trigger wasn't bad but I've not measured it yet. For bench shooting I don't think it's affecting group size.

I didn't fire more than pairs due to limited ammo but it seems to shoot well enough for an iron sight gun to me at this point. It did pop open after shot number two but after that I closed it a bit harder and it didn't pop open again so I likely just didn't have it fully closed and locked on that one shot. It is an ejector gun not extractor.

Recoil with the CAS level loads was mild enough to not need extra padding for my shoulder and that's really the recoil level I want to stick with. I do not plan to shoot anything hotter than this load in it but haven't put together any reloads yet, that will come later.

Just giving you a short update on it as this is the first time I've taken it out so far.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Shot the Buff Classic today
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »
GB'

why have such a heavy, hard-hitting bullet and not scope that rifle and use it for some longer shots?   even a 4-power shotgun scope would be a help.     

i still think that a case full of a relatively slow powder behind such a heavy bullet, with a firm crimp and a magnum primer, will give manageable recoil and very good accuracy.    some don't agree, but that's what i'd try.

good hunting to you,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:00:17 PM »
Bill

Thanks for the report , i went and traded off my BC barrel for a 25/06 . i found that i had too hard of a time keeping it on target off hand with such a long barrel , to nose heavy for me .

If you want a light recoiling load that shoots well to 100 yards ( 2" or less ) give a 405 cast bullet over 15 grains of Unique a try , i just love this load and it still has enough power to drop a deer at that range . Recoil is on par with a .410 .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 01:10:23 PM »
Bill, the shooting too low is a common problem, H&R puts the wrong front sight on em, it should most likely have a .494" 17A sight, but many including mine came with the .584" sight. H&R should replace it for ya if you choose to ask em, maybe along with that scuffed up stock!! :D I put a .404" sight in mine and it's just right for the FP sight.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:42:56 PM »
Tim,

I got your "report this post to moderator" message...you think the problem is wrong sight or "The Shooter" is recoil sensitive and  can't handle the big guns!   ;D   I think I am gonna go back to the cannon forum and hide! He'll get me for that!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 07:49:54 PM »
Heh heh, yup, better hide!! :o :D  I wanted to test the email notification system, but couldn't do it on my own posts, so used the old guy's post!! ;) I haven't got a GBO email since the 18th, didn't get this one either.  :-\ Dunno what's up with that, I've checked my email server, copies of all my incoming emails are stored on Comcast's server, but there aren't any from GBO there since the 18th, but all the rest of my emails are, over 170 since the 18th, none in their screened mail box either. :-\

Tim

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 01:05:43 AM »
I did get the notice. I tried to reply to you about it but it bounced like a rubber ball back. It was Comcast that bounced it. I think that's where your problem lies. Apparently they are not accepting e-mails from our server for some reason. I've already deleted the message tho so can't provide you a copy of it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:47 AM »
Bill:

Glad you got the BC out...those old slow loads will do the trick on any old deer you hit with them...

Quick...I got the report from you yesterday & DD's this morning...I responded to yours yesterday...& just now...and also to DD's just now...see if it works from here..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »
Nope, nothing from the GBO server, I'm getting emails from everyone else, to include some I don't want!!

Tim

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »
GB
Nothing wrong with those slow loads, that's what makes the 45-70 fun.  One think I like about the black powder loads is I really don't have to measure real careful, just so long as the case is full ;D.  Most likely get the same velocities but a lot more smoke.

Get NEF to send you the lower sight and it'll reach way out there for ya.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »
Aww,come on Bill,go buy a couple of box's of the leverevolution stuff or that Buffalo ammo,and give us a real report. :o :o :o :o. After you shoot about 50 rds. through it in one eve.it should start shootin real good. ;D ;D ;D ;D   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:02 AM »
Not a chance Digger, not a chance. I'm down to shooting only the .410 at skeet and stop after a couple rounds. The right shoulder is in really bad shape these days. The cortisone shots are not helping anymore. I had hoped the shoulder would last as long as me without surgery but the chances of that are looking slim.

I'm going back to mostly handguns again to ease up on the shoulder and what long guns I shoot must have light recoil or they are not gonna get used.

I picked up a new Magnum Research .22LR today it has the carbon fiber barrel and Hogue over molded stock. It's about as light as a Remington Nylon 66 even tho it has a full bull barrel on it. I've got a Leupold Compact 3-9 AO scope I'll be sticking on it this afternoon or tomorrow so I can get it out to the range. That's the kinda recoil my shoulder can live with.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »
Bill I know the feeling about the shoulders.You couldn't hold a gun on me and make me shoot that many rds. through a 45 70.  ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017