Author Topic: 1/7 Scale Dahlgren  (Read 609 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
1/7 Scale Dahlgren
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:56:51 AM »
Didn't want to get off topic on the thread about adding sights to cannons so thought I'd better just start a new thread for lance to see my 1/7 scale Dahlgren with a 1-inch bore.
This one was bought from South Bend Replicas about ten years ago and hasn't been shot an awful lot.  I bought the brass "slap hammer" from Cannon Mania back when I was still dealing with them.
This is a heavy little gun and with this type carriage doesn't have much of a recoil. Also shown is the round ball mould that I cast the .960 wheel weight lead balls.  The nipple accepts Musket caps.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
Re: 1/7 Scale Dahlgren
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 12:02:57 PM »
Another shot of the muzzle end of the tube.  The picture is apparently distorted somewhat as the muzzle looks more like a 2-incher but it IS only a 1-inch bore.

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:58:36 PM »
 Blaster, Thanks for sharing the pics, that's the one i'm ordering from SBR..... Recon ya could hit a 38"x17" plywood "Monitor Gun Turret" at 50yds with it?  I got lot's to do before i can find out......get the cannon, build the sight rail, make a table,work,work,work ;D ;D ;D I picked that cannon cause i really like the 25lb cast iron carriage they make for it. Thanks again for the pics, Hey, no practicing till i get mine, that goes for you too Mike and Tracy ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »
Lance, I'm pretty certain that I could hit a target of that size (after a few sighter shots of course).  Right now, I have no sights on it but it's a matter lying down on the ground and pointing as well as possible.  When my Dahlgren arrived from SBR, about six or eight inches of the barrel was protruding out the packing box and just had a little paint missing.  The UPS guy wondered what the devil was in the box.  Then a couple days later, when he delivered another box containing a few hundred .50BMG projectiles he really wondered what was going on since some of them spilled out of the box and were rolling around the floor of his truck. Do keep us posted and I'd advise you to make a phone call to SBR to see if what you want is currently in stock however  I'm pretty certain these Dahlgrens are fabricated on site right in their shop.  If and when you do call, you will most likely be speaking to Mr. Barnett, the President of the company and he is a very nice fellow to deal with.