Author Topic: 243 Handi Bad day at the range  (Read 2894 times)

Offline sms1717

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 243 Handi Bad day at the range
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 03:23:12 PM »
I have a .243 Ultra Varmint that shot well in the beginning and now after about 60 rounds it shoots awesome.   I shot .5 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards with 100gr federal powershoks and that was from a hot barrel.   I have not polished...tinkered with it at all....it is exactly the same as it came in the box.  I love my .243 until I had a BIG problem with action opening up when fired!! but that's another story.

Had lotsa fun with the 10/22 with the GM sporter taper. Squirrels better watch out if within 60 yards. Son will put the smackdown on them. Moved to the highpower range and boresighted the 243 handi. First shot at 25 yards is dead center 4" high. Make some adjustments and move back to 100 yards and second shot is in bull but offcenter 1/2" right. I am really liking this. Went down hill from there. I have read all the postings and threads about the 243 so I knew what to expect. I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. Third shot was low left 6 inches. Now I know you must let the barrel cool but I think this is ridiculous. There was plenty of time for the barrel to cool after the first shot since I had to adjust the scope and walk the target back 75 yards and then come back and sit down. The gun would just not group. The bullets were strung over an 8" range. I don't even know what ammo I was using because it came from the PO when I bought the gun. I can't believe they can sell a gun that won't shoot factory ammo. Don't get me started on factory ammo.  Never could get any of it to shoot out of any HP rifle I own. I don't reload. I have some friends of mine that have done it for me in the past.
We continued to shoot with a hot barrel so my 11yo son could get used to the recoil.  He shot it as best he could. He was really excited about the rifle for deer hunting but now he is really turned off. He even told me to sell it that he would just use my 30/06. That should not be a problem since we will be shooting from buddy stands with railings. He's killed one deer with it already.
About the gun, NEF Superlight Handi Rifle youth with Nikon 3-9 x40, Leupold base with double strap rings.
Other than just ranting in this thread can I ask "Is it hopeless and more trouble than it is worth to try and make this gun work?" I beginning to think so. The only thing I have done so far is the o ring thing and the rest in back of the forearm deal.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
ohh that don't sound good. what happened?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »
Pop open issues are addressed in the FAQs. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 05:19:12 PM »
ohh ok ill go look
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline snakeskinner

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »
OK so this thread is almost 2 months old. I have to post an update though.
After my first range visit with this gun I got some handloads that just didn't work. I asked my handloader for a moderate load but I got anything but. 39.1 grains of H4350 knocked my arm off in the super light gun shot all over the place. Swelled the cases to the point that one wouldn't eject. Was up around 2780 FPS with that load.

Today I shot two loads.
27.0 grains of H4895
28.0 grains of IMR4064
Both loads shot equally well. They are suppose to be in the 2400 range. I didn't get the chrony out today. My 11yo son actually shot the group in the lower right. A little trigger work and I think this gun could be MOA. In addition to the new load I also added the o-ring to the forend and made sure the bullet was touching the lands.

Get right with the Man.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
Snakeskinner,
Those are some are some pretty promising groups there. You could get your own reloading setup for a pretty reasonable price.
You and your kids can have a ball dialing in rounds for your rifles. I have some great memories of my Dad and I reloading and
hunting when I was very young. Looks like you are on the right track.

Robert

Offline Hunter NZ

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
The superlight is very sensitive to loads, both Myself and Stimpy can attest to this, find the sweet load and the time and effort is all worth while, suppose some of us enjoy the challenge, right Stimpy!  and I bedding the for-end, it is an awesome hunting rifle once sorted out. Wouldn't hunt the hills with anything else, It is as light as many very expensive rifles, shorter than them all and shoots 3 shot groups under 1" at a 100yds. I nailed this pig with a single shot at a 200 yds steep uphill shot off my shooting sticks. Would I choose any other rifle to carry, with the pig from the the bottom of hill to where the photo was taken, nup.I am getting to old to carry 8lb+ rifles up mountains and steep hills,
Really hope snake skinner you get it shooting well,
Regards Howard.   

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »
At this point it is more of a QUEST than a challenge , the one thing that i have found to help most is an older forarm that was cut by H&R to the thin profile of the SL barrel , came off of an old 22LR Sportster , fits like a glove .  ;)

And yes you must be willing to put in the bench and range time , buy once you can get this rifle to shoot the rest of them are not much of a problem .  ;)

Howard

You got that right , why drag around a 8 pound rifle when you don't have to . ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 07:36:17 AM »
Snakeskinner, I hope that you do someday get into handloading, you can buy used stuff for some pretty cheap prices nowdays. Some of my fondest memories growing up take me back to loading with my granddad when my grandparents lived deep in the hills of co. now they moved back to denver and he dont load no more. but i do, and i am the only one out of about 40 grandkids. PLEASE jump in! I dont know whats going to happen when my generation hits 50. I know that i will still be loading, maybe a few oldtimers here and there, but if you dont introduce your son to it, that will be one less for the future. I kinda look at it like hunting, you wouldnt say im not going to do it cause somebody else can kill my cow and i can pick it up at the market. no, you took him out and showed him what it was about, and look at all the memories you made and the ones to come also. I dont mean to step on toes or sound like im trying to. Im just a lil spoked for my gen. and what will happen to hunting and reloading and guns and such. seems like our backbone (generations that are 50-99yrs old) are slowly moving on to the great hunting grounds.
PS Sorry for ramblin on. ;D
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline sanso1

• Sansone Gun Services
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 06:30:33 AM »
I'm 52 and  some of my best memories are shooting with dad. He's hunting greater plains now and we'll take it up again later.(much later hopefully ;D)