Author Topic: What parts of Montana do you hunt?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Coppertop

• Trade Count: (0)
What parts of Montana do you hunt?
« on: November 21, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
I live just south of the border in Wyoming but go up there to hunt on my folks ranch. We are in Powder River County hunting Mule deer.  Where and what does everyone else go to hunt?

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Re: What parts of Montana do you hunt?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »
For whitetail hunting its mostly been here in the Flathead Valley

Which when you look at the boundries for the Flathead area... with the Rocky Mountains to the east, Tally Lake district to the west, Whitefish Range to the North we can virtually do it all right here from Elk, Moose, Whitetail, Mule Deer, Black Bear and Mountain Lions as well as many upland game birds too.  And when the season runs out on game animals we go after the ol coy dogs which are all over the place.

I do most of my hunting about 10 miles west of me, up on my aunt and uncles place and out the back gate to a timber company which does not get much pressure.  This area is the perfect for bowhunting and 30-30 lever action rifle hunting area.

Offline wis_sharpshooter

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 03:11:40 PM »
I live in wisconsin but have 2 uncles that live in montana. I hunt near helena in the national forests, and near lima in the centeinal valley.
Hail Marry Full of Grace Drop This Animal on its Face

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 03:42:36 PM »
The old man and I chased elk south of Fort Peck Lake:

The old man stuck this guy:

We hunted four days (lost 2 because of weather) and the four of us killed 2 bulls over 300.  I was twice within 100 yards of a good bull but never drew back. 

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »
dukkillr

I know the area very well, as when I was a deputy for Petroleum County Sheriff's Office I used to drive up to the CM Russel quite a bit.  Never got to hunt up there... dang sure wish I was still over there.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:40:20 PM »
It was my first hunt in Montana but I doubt it will be my last.  I have traditionally elk hunted in Colorado but we were looking for a chance at some bigger bulls in areas with limited tags available.  The country was wild and rugged and I think we got exactly what we were looking for.  The only mistake we made was in not getting archery antelope tags. 

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:42:56 AM »
What part of Montana, do I hunt?  Anwhere you find gophers!!!

Dear, elk, prairie dogs are just off season recreation for the serious game of gopher hunting!!

An occaisonal fox, coyote or rock chuck rounds things out.

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:09:05 AM »
I live just south of the border in Wyoming but go up there to hunt on my folks ranch. We are in Powder River County hunting Mule deer.  Where and what does everyone else go to hunt?

Am I right in guessing this is around Sheridan? My parents live in Ranchester, lots of whitetails and prairie dogs there!

Offline Kodiak

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »
I usually hunt in unit 700,'cause I have access to lots of private stuff, and it always has some antelope runnin' around there. The p'dog shootin' is pretty good too. Last year I got a couple of goats with a BPCR. This year I'll be in WY. before MT for goats again.

Kodiak
"The monkey let the hogs out" AK & US