Author Topic: First Post....Sightron Optics  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Streamer

• Trade Count: (0)
First Post....Sightron Optics
« on: January 22, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
Well I guess I should have set this account where it didn't automatically log in.  Had some teens here this week get on the computer when I wasn't here.  Anyways....

I was considering an S1 Sightron 3-9x40 with all I have read on the internet.  Mostly good things to say about them and just a few negative things.

What say the members of this Forum on Sightron S1 scopes?    TIA.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: First Post....Sightron Optics
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Hi Streamer and welcome to the forum. You had me guessing there for a minute too. Wink I had a S1 for awhile but I traded it to a friend for a Bushnell Trophy. The S1 had very decent glass and seemed to be well built, but I just couldn't handle the turrets. Maybe mine was defective (I doubt it though), but once I turned the turrets to a certain point, I nearly considered using a pair of pliers to get them to turn any further. The turrets just gnawed my fingers. Other than that it was a good little scope for its price range.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Skunk

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »
Hi Skunk.   Yeh, I read where one poster said it hurt his fingers bad...but I also read on Sightron site that for 2008, they redesigned the turret knobs for easier functioning...do you know about this improvement?

I've seen pics on the internet of what i presume to be earlier model S1's with the short knobs....and now on Sightron website they have taller more knurled type knobs.   

Still tryin to decide.

LOL Streamer, I think we are playing thread tag here. :D No, I didn't realize that Sightron had improved the turrets on th S1. If mine would have had the new turrets, I would probably still have that scope. I liked everything about it for that price range except those nasty low turrets that I couldn't get a good grip on. I'll check out there website.
Mike

Offline Streamer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=8&id=59

What I like about it, is the LONG EYE RELIEF....need all i can get on that long action 110.  That plus the 6" tube.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »
I downloaded their 2009 catalog while I was there. All of their scopes look pretty darn good. Sure would like to try one of those S3s with the side parallax adjustments and the target turrets.
Mike

Offline Streamer

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:49:58 PM »
LOL....wish I had the budget to do the same!   :)

I really think I'll give one a try if noone talks me out of one..

I emailed them other day and asked about Warranty...sounded good.

Wish there was one nearby to go look at, but there is no retailer for Sightron local .  :'(

Offline Skunk

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:58:05 PM »
I'd say it is an excellent choice for that price range, especially with the new turrets. And if you didn't like it, you wouldn't really be out too much money (well, relatively speaking anyway ;)), and could probably easily sell it or trade it on something different that more suited your tastes.
Mike

Offline Streamer

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
Yeh, I'm definitely leaning towards givin' it a shot....pun intended... ;D

Offline auk1124

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »
I own three of em.  Two are mounted on inline muzzleloaders and one is mounted on a .243.  Never had a problem with any of em so far (knock on wood).  Good scopes for the money with a great warranty.  If you can go 200 smackers, the SII 3-9 is a really great scope for the dough. 

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
I have an S1 in 1 power. This 20 mm scope was purchased for $120 to comply with Wisconsin's idiotic no magnification rule during the muzzleloader season.  It was a way better choice optically than the Nikon 1 power that I looked thru. On my NEF Sidekick I had no touble getting it adjusted and on target and it has held zero thru two 10 day hunts. I am a satisfied user. I normally use 20 mm Weaver and Leupold scopes on my longarms.

Offline Old 112

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »
I have an S1 on a Rem.700 in 30/06.
Mine is very clear and adjustments are easy,
and consistant on power and windage
and elevation. It is a real decent scope.
But,
check out a few(S1) if you can, and see
if their is one that sharper or clearer for
"your" eye.

Regards,
Old 112

Offline WyoStillhunter

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 06:09:22 PM »
About 10 years ago I bought a used M700 Classic in .35 Whelen with a Sightron 4X42 fixed power scope on it.  I wanted the Whelen for elk hunting in the timber and replaced the Sightron with a Weaver K2.5.  Since then the Sightron has been my utility/spare scope.  It has been on and off of several rifles.  In '07 it was on a Ruger Hawkeye .257 Roberts for antelope season.  I have put it on rifles for load testing when I planned on using a lower powered scope or iron sights for hunting.  It has stood up well--not one problem.  In fact, just today I put it back on the .257 Roberts and I expect it will live there for the foreseeable future.  That's all I know about Sightron scopes and it's all positive.
Hunt close, then get closer.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 03:09:04 AM »
I don't know anything about Sightron scopes.  I presently own two scoped rifles and rarely use them.  A few years ago my local gunshop stocked some Sightron Binoculars, though.  They were new to the market, and the price was right at the time.  This shop is out on a dirt road, in farm country, but well known to the locals. Being a wearer of bifocals, binoculars had been posing a problem for me, and I happened to be shopping for a better pair than the Pentax pair I had.  The dealer let me go outside and compare those Sightrons with the best in his case.  They seemed at least as good, if not better to me than his best Nikons.  They were easy to use while wearing glasses.  I ended up walking out with a pair of 10x50's--mostly because he was out of stock on the 8 by 40's (or maybe 7 x 35's--can't remember).  At least when it comes to binoculars, I'm pretty satisfied with Sightron products, although the price is considerably higher now. 

Offline Streamer

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 02:08:32 PM »
But,
check out a few(S1) if you can, and see
if their is one that sharper or clearer for
"your" eye.

Good point Old 112  :     Unfortunately, I don't have access to any for looking at in my area.   Have one ordered and I'm confident, if there should be any problem with it out of the box, the Warranty that has been touted as Rock Solid wil take care of it.

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I have a Sightron SII on my pump. If I send for a new SI will I get the new one with the improved Turret or older one or just take a chance????

Offline Streamer

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 01:50:40 PM »
The 2008 model S1's have the improved turrets.  If you order online, ask if it is the '08 version..that's what I did and I am very pleased with it so far. 

Offline 95Road King

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »
 I have 2 of them. Both 6-24 on Varmint rifles. One is a 22-250 I used in 500 yd Ground Hog shoots. Lot's of up/ down adjustments. Al way's, always went back to zero!!!! Had to send one back after a couple yrs for something?? They don't repair them, they send you a new one!!! Good scope for the money compared to a Leopold's high price!!!

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 09:19:07 PM »
 ;) My BIL bought a 6-24 off his local classifieds, something wrong with it, he called Sightron, they said

send it back, a week later he had a new one !  On his 22-250 custom Mauser he took a "whistlepig" @

326 yds with it !     ;D    Good Luck      Good Shooting      Jim
Jim