Author Topic: help me with this sickness  (Read 583 times)

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
help me with this sickness
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:25:25 PM »
Hi my name is Chad and I'm a handi-holic.

It is after 11pm and I can't sleep, I need help here.
I was in my local outdoors superstore tonight, and saw a used (its new, but a raffle trade in so it has to go on the used rack) synthetic stocked 45-70 SB2-S57.  I feel like a cartoon charcter with my devil on one shoulder and my angel on the other fighting with both ears telling me to buy it and to not buy it.  The price is right, but I need this gun about as much as I need a .458" hole in the head.  I already have a scoped 45-70, and a B.C. 45-70, AND 2 450 marlin barrels, one shortened 18" and one 22".  The 450's are only because I don't reload, and with factory ammo the 450 will make animals much "deader" than 45-70 big 3 factory loads.
I look at this gun and reality disappears.  I almost want to buy it just to have the barrel and get rid of the rest, but I know I would be better off with a factory fit barrel on my other 45-70 frame. 
With deer rifle season fast approaching, I am torn as to which handi barrel to use.  I almost want to take a #3 screwdriver and 4 barrels (.243, .280, B.C., and 450) up to my treestand and swap barrels depending on how big and how far away the deer is standing.  This 45-70 will make the deer rifle decision that much harder.
I have no wife to yell at me if I buy it, but on the other hand, my German Shorthair wants me to buy a 20 gauge so I can take him grouse hunting.

To tell the truth, I don't know if i really even WANT this gun.  I feel like the dog in a pack who eats all the food just so the others can't get it.  The only reason I want this gun is so someone else can't get the good deal. 

Here is the question I need answered.  Do I buy this gun and let it possibly sit in my safe for 99.999% of its life?, or should I buy my hunting dog a new grouse gun and let someone else have the good deal on the 45-70?

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: help me with this sickness
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »
YES,   ::)  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »
Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone but after Christmas this year all Handi rifles will have this warning sticker attached:

So get all you can before then...

Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
Definitely, absolutely, positively without a doubt....YES!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:07:13 PM »
skifastchad,                                                                                                                                                                                    do i need it-no                                                                                                                                                                               
 do i want it-yes
 do i have the money-yes
 do i have a wife-no
 do i beat my buddy first to the rifle-yes
 do i buy the rifle-yes

buy the rifle if you want it, i have guns setting here for years i have never shot just bought and put up to keep.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »
It is really not as difficult a question as it at first seems. Buy both!

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:28:59 PM »

Well...I have been facing this same dilemma this past week...so I know what your feeling...You already have the Handi sickness...why not share this passion...find a friend who isn't infected yet...and spread the disease ...Buy the grouse gun...and some reloading equipment...Busting birds with a fine 20 behind a great working dog...is a joy that few ever get to know...and learn to roll your own shells so you don't have to worry which barrel to take...I have a dandy 45-70 load that will make a believer out of you... ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 09:34:12 PM »

I know, it aint a 20 gauge and it aint a grouse.

And I know, it aint a 45-70.

But,,,,my vote is for both.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 04:53:28 AM »
Also remember the old adage:'Everyone needs at least two 45-70's'. I now have two and I am contemplating a third---------1876 Winchester(Uberti) if I could just find one in Canada. The 'sickness' morphs, so do be careful. And by the way this maybe is not the best place to get the kind of help you(and the rest of us) need!!!!!!!!!!!

Once you get one of these Handi's to group MOA it seems to urge you on to get another---------------------and another,--------

Mc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:21:03 AM »
simple, buy the 45-70 for yourself and get a 20 gauge (TDC perhaps?) for your faithful and deserving Shorthair, never a doubt in my mind, but then I am addicted also. Heck, I have a few 45-70's and 20 gauges myself, including a 20 gauge TDC, which EVERY Shorthair deserves, and my faithful Shorthair has been gone for many years. Buy them both buddy, it is the only way you will get a good nights sleep....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley