Author Topic: Any one hunting early muzzleloading down at Wild Cat Hollow ?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline blacky1755

• Trade Count: (0)
Any one hunting early muzzleloading down at Wild Cat Hollow ?
« on: October 08, 2007, 06:07:59 AM »
 Oct. 22 - Oct 27
              Me and a few of my buds will be camped down at Wild Cat Hollow for the Early season M/L controlled hunt!  Thats in Morgan county about 6 miles W/o  McConnelsville s/o SR .78 .    The coffee pots is always on ,so stop bye and shoot the Bull ! We will be down in the bottom, passed the shooting, range acrossed from the bottom lake . Hopefully camped along the creek that runs throught the camping area.
Blacky

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
Re: Any one hunting early muzzleloading down at Wild Cat Hollow ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 03:48:31 AM »
Will be there for reg gun season, let me know if you'll be around and I'll stop by then.  I usually camp at the Burr Oak Camp grounds, (Hot Showers ) all of the conveniences ya know.  Good luck.
Mike

Offline blacky1755

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:30:21 AM »
Hay Mike,     Last couple of years I have hunted down in Adams county fer gun season. It's a lott harder ground to hunt on than where we use to hunt             ( Carrolton ) ,but there are some whoopers down here!!! Not that Carrol county doesn't have big'ens, I will take my dad and daughter over there Sat & Sunday when I get back from Adams . My friend has about 35 acres  near Leesville's Lake ,safe spot fer my girl and Old Dad to be!!     Burr Oak has a real nice camping area ,I have camped there a time or two when we hunted off of Irish Ridge.   Yeah ,Hot Showers would be nice! ;D
                                                                                   GOOD LUCK To You Too!
                                                                                     Blacky

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 04:10:51 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, being as I just came to Ohio last year, but when is the early ML season?  I don't see it in the regs. 

I'll tell you, I thought the Alaska regs were hard to figure, these in Ohio are enough to drive a grown man to tears!  What is the story on the $15 doe tag?  I thought the regular deer tag was good for a doe also.  Do you then have to get the $15 tag on top of it if you want to get a doe?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated (do you hear me, Stimpy & Shaner?)

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:38:55 PM »
Winter Hawk

The $15 Doe Permit is if you want to take a extra deer , the standard deer permit will let you take either a Buck or Doe while depending on what zones you hunt , you can take up to 4 other Does with these other permits .

As for the early ML season its only in a few state wildlife areas . click on the link below , it should explain some of this .

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/seasons.aspx#deer

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:15:45 PM »
Thanks, Stimpy.  I guess I have to wait another year to apply for the early hunt.  I'll go out with the old recurve bow until I can use the flintlock or NEF w/ 20 ga barrel!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »
It took a little while of reading for me to figure out the $15 tag situation too, we'll see if I can explain it good enough to understand.....

Each deer zone has a set amount of deer you can take, i.e. 1, 2, or 3 of which only one may be antlered.  The $15 tags will allow you to take another 1, 2, or 3 deer depending upon the zone you are in, but they must be antlerless (which in Ohio means to have 3" or shorter antlers if it's a male).  They may only be used before the general firearms season, which means that you can only use them if you use archery equipment.  If you don't fill your tag before gun season, you can still use them after as long as you are participating in a special hunt put on by the ODNR, or are hunting in an Urban deer zone (maps of which are shown in the laws).

In order to use these $15 tags, you have to first buy a $24 either sex tag, however once you buy the tags, you can use them in any order you see fit.

The other thing with the zones is that even though you are limited to 1, 2, or 3 deer in your zone, you may travel to another zone and hunt to fill your tags up to the 3 total limit, as long as the zone you are going to hunt in has a total limit of more than the zone you were hunting in originally (i.e., if you shot a deer in the 1 deer zone, you can go and get another in a 2 deer zone, or get 2 more in a 3 deer zone).

I better quit while I'm ahead, but if you have any questions, I'll try and answer them the best I can.

~Amos

P.S.  I forgot that the thread was about the early muzzleloader season....you aren't allowed to use the $15 tags with any kind of firearm(pistol, shotgun, muzzleloader)...them's the rules, just wanted to re-emphasize that so that no one got the wrong idea.
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
I just looked at the link that Rich put up, because I thought that the early season didn't require a drawing, but it looks to me like the powers that be in their infinite wisdom, have tried to make it more of a pain in the butt again for people.  Not only do they have a drawing for that hunt, but they also did away with the in season crop damage tags that they used to give out to farmers, hence the stupid $15 tag fiasco.....just another way for them to make money off of what used to be handed out for free.

~Amos

Offline blacky1755

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 04:11:35 AM »

I'm  for one that is not a happy camper with the way the state has handle this Early M/L season ! I have hunted the last 24 years during the early season  with missing only one hunt . May not mean squat to any of you  or any one at the DOW,  but there still is a few of us  who need this Hunt!! But it seems to me  They are sure trying to WREAK a good thing! I am sorry But I for one see NO Wisdom at All!   Please don't get me wrong I still get out with my long bow ,just not as much as I use to  but they sure like to Kiss the Bowhunters back end ,with all the extra's they hand them. WHY not give some of the gravy to the M/L hunters   ??? Why is it that they want to cut the doe population way down and not let early M/L do it is beyond me?  Just in the $ sign they would be way ahead as we have to pay $24 over the $ 15 . A few us are pondering if Ohio needs a State  M/lL Association for a Greater voice in the way these laws  are being unjustly wrote !!   I am sorry if this post came to this Just me blowing off! What say You?
Blacky

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
Blacky

You are coming to understand what most of Ohio hunters already know . ----- ODNR = You Can't Fix Stuuuuupid .  ???  ???  :o

The boys in Columbus have been out of touch with the real world for so long that they are going BACKWARDS .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:35:56 PM »
You're not going to get any arguments from me, I agree with you.

~Amos

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 04:59:00 AM »
Well! how was the deer hunting down at Wild Cat hollow?  Any bid deer shot? were there many hunters? Any pictures?
Mike