Author Topic: A few questions about Red Dots  (Read 365 times)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
A few questions about Red Dots
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:14:47 AM »
I have never owned a Red Dot Scope, but have an interest in one for a 44 Mag rifle. Is there unlimited eye relief? Is there any parallax to worry about and if there is, what are they set at? What size of Dot do you recommend, and why. What is the difference between a cheap Red Dot and a better type of Red Dot? Is there any advantage to a large diameter vs a smaller diameter body? Do you have to sight down the body like a scope or can you shoot accurately with both eyes open? I thank any one that can answer any of these questions that has had  experience in the use of Red Dots. You can answer that you would not have one under any circumstances, just tell me why.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: A few questions about Red Dots
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:01:58 AM »
LaOtto222

I don't know about unlimited eye relief but it's enough that you'll never have a problem. There is no parallax in any that I've had. Where the dot is, is where the bullet hits no matter where the dot is in the tube. A 3-5 min. dot usually works best all around, there are other sizes and which one you like is a personal choice. I've seen them from 1 min to 20 mins. I shoot them with both eyes open. I just raise the gun into my line of sight and we're ready to shoot. A little practice and you'll find that the red dot is as fast as the irons or faster like I did. I use 30MM tubes and they seem adequate, and more balanced than the huge tubes are. My favorite is the Millet 30MM with a 5 min dot. I've got 4 of them on a .22, .357, .44Mag and a 12 ga slug gun. The one on the .44 is now 9 years old and I've never had to re-zero any of them. I just put in a new battery every Sept. and I'm good for a year.

Hope this helps!

OH Yeah, The Millets are $78.05 from Midsouth Shooters Supply.
Dave375HH

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: A few questions about Red Dots
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:57:10 AM »
Thank You very much, Dave. This answered my questions. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.