Author Topic: Ft Churchill, NV cannon sighting  (Read 408 times)

Offline Don Krag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
Ft Churchill, NV cannon sighting
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:09:41 AM »
I'm sitting at the Reno, NV airport typing. :) I finished up a day early on my Yerington, NV project and took a road trip out to Ft Churchill state park. If you're ever withing an hour of here, I highly recommend it!!! They have a pair of 3" ordinance cannon with original carriages in pristine condition. In addition, they have a completely restored limber set in the indoor museum, also with mostly original parts. Very cool! Outside, they have a limber in "as found" condition that is also pretty cool. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me and my graduate degrees still don't qualify me to know how to use the camera function on my cell phone...but, I'll be back out several more times on this project and will get some quality pics. I did write down all the info off the muzzles. I was hoping to find a ranger out there to see if they'd let me in the cage to make some rubbings off the muzzle, but it's pretty deserted out there.

It'll be sooo nice to finally be home for more than a couple days now...time to do some bingo shooting!
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Ft Churchill, NV cannon sighting
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »
The guns at Ft. C are on "the register."  One is no. 651, insp. TTSL, made 1863, 816 lbs.  The other is No. 691, insp. JHVF, made 1864, 816 lbs.  Both are Phoenix Iron Works of course.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Ft Churchill, NV cannon sighting
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:39:28 PM »
     Congratulations, Don!  Do you realize that you have seen 2/3rds. of the Civil War artillery in the state? Two out of three!  Warm up that wheeled carriage mortar; a six inch mortar should plant it's projectiles firmly into the ground with little "Bounce" to worry about.   :) :) :) :) :)  Good luck.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling