Author Topic: .243 Ultra Hunter vs Ultra Varmint  (Read 1524 times)

Offline TomC1426

• Trade Count: (0)
.243 Ultra Hunter vs Ultra Varmint
« on: March 20, 2004, 11:19:33 AM »
Well guys I finally got my gun in with one small problem. I ordered the Ultra Varmint and the gun that came in is the Ultra Hunter. The dealer said that he could have the Varmint in about a week, but he also thought that the one I ordered would only take a week. It took 2 months. I looked the Hunter over and I liked the feel of it. The extractor seems to work well and there isn't a lot of grease and build up like some on this board have talked about.

I guess what it boils down to is there any real difference between the 22" standard and 24" bull barrels. I'm not a bench shooter, and its main use will be coyote hunting and something to play with.  :-)

I'm afraid that I'm getting impatient, and I want to take the Hunter home. (check that I know I'm getting impatient) :x

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 01:11:12 PM »
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the hunter.  The standard barrel on these beasts is heavier than any standard bolt barrel I have seen.  They are almost bull barrel.  It should not make any difference in groups when shot in one two or three shot strings.

The bull really helps when repeated shots are taken in quich succession.

My son's 223 standard is as accurate or more than my Ultra Varmint 223.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 02:44:16 PM »
TomC1426, I agree with handirifle, and be assured, "he knows from where he speaks". Go with the standard diameter barrel for hunting. It is more than up to the task, and they are shooters too!!! I have each of them among my "family" of Handi's and Sportsters and find myself reaching for the standard weight barrelled ones to carry into the woods or fields. I still like my bull barreled one's but they have thier place and it's not being lugged through the woods. But remember, buy the one you want, if not you will never be really happy, and if you find out you made a mistake, you can always save up and buy another barrel, I know I did!!!. I guess it all boils down to what you want the gun for, but the great part is you can't make a mistake as long as the barrel accessory program keeps running, another barrel is just a phone call and a bit of a wait away....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 03:09:22 PM »
If you're not going to carry it alot the heavy barrel would be my choice simply because it's easier to hold steady.If you're not in to 300 to 500 yds. shots the lighter barrel may be the be the best bet.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline stevex

RE
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 04:31:03 AM »
I have the 223 Ultra varmint and it shoots great.It has the synthetic stock/forearm. The only problem I have with it is that its not a great rifle to carry for any extended distance.When carrying it on your shoulder it likes to tip over backwards.The heavy barrel seems to make it top heavy.
You have to walk with you hand on the stock to keep it upright.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 05:04:01 AM »
stevex
Should have left the laminated stock on.  I'm sure the synthetic is lighter but the laminated keeps it more balanced.  I took mine out coyote hunting a couple time so far and I really do not notice the weight.  Guess I'm used to carrying the Savage '06 up these mountains :-) .

Ya wanna carry weight, try the M-14 I carried at my first duty assignment in the Army.  That sucker was heavy.  The weight felt good when you pulled the trigger though. :wink:

Offline stevex

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 07:45:23 AM »
handirifle,

I purchased the 223Ultra used and the synthetic stock/forearm was on it.
It just took a little while to get used to carrying the rifle.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 04:02:14 PM »
No kidding, wonder what they did with the laminated.  I haven't held a synthetic Handi but it does seem like it might make it front heavy, like you say.

Maybe add a little weight to the rear stock, but that would just make it all heavier.

Oh well nothing wrong with the synthetics either.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 03:30:46 AM »
I put the synthetic on my Ultra Varmint and like it much better actually. But everybody is different I guess. Mine carrys good, would like to shoot it a lot more if the weather ever coroperates.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline TomC1426

Finally decided.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 05:14:33 PM »
Will I've finally decided what to do. I had my dealer check and he's going to get me the Ultra Varmint. After thinking about it and really breaking down what I'll be using the gun for, I decided to change calibers also. I had him get me the .223 with bull barrel. Before you guys start thinking that I can't make up my mine. :shock:  My original intent for the gun was all around use for target, coyotes, and wild pigs. I proably won't be pig hunting that much, and most on this board recommend the .223 for yotes. One thing for sure the ammo is a lot cheaper. If the pig hunting starts looking promising than there is always the extra barrel program. I'm thinking a .270 or 30-06 would be better anyway.

Oh well, I think everyone for the replies, and as soon as I get the .223 to the range I'll post a report.

Tom

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 06:35:38 PM »
Tom
That is exactly what we all do.  Too many flavors to think about.  With a bolt gun it's pretty simple but these things make it tough at first.  The best solution is JUST BUY ONE then get the others barrels.  A 30-06 in on my list for the summer.  It will be an extra barrel for my 223 Ultra Varmint.  By the way, I really do not notice much difference in carry weight from the standard Handi 223.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 01:51:50 AM »
TomC1426, I think you made the correct choice. You got what you want and now are happily anticipating it's arrival. You reasoned it out also, which is more than some of us (me!!) have done on all our Handirifle/Sportster/Pardner/Barrel purchases. Now for the good part. I have a .223 Handi with synthetic stock and Bull barrel and I love it. It is a fantastic coyote and varmit gun, extremely accurate and reliable, fun and cheap to shoot. What more could a man ask on a cold winters night? Now when it gets here shoot it and have fun setting it up to shoot accutarely, that in itself is a blast, literally!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: .243 Ultra Hunter vs Ultra Varmint
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 02:42:33 AM »
Your orginal 243 caliber was a good all around choice.  Nevertheless - you are now doomed to years of second guessing yourself - next time you will have to buy both - at their price they are almost free anyway.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: RE
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 04:34:25 AM »
I have the 223 Ultra varmint and it shoots great.It has the synthetic stock/forearm. The only problem I have with it is that its not a great rifle to carry for any extended distance.When carrying it on your shoulder it likes to tip over backwards.The heavy barrel seems to make it top heavy.

Then carry it muzzle down...which is what I do...You just have to readjust your sling to accommodate this type of carry...It's actually quicker to get on target carrying this way than in the standard muzzle up position

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 05:30:20 AM »
 ??? 2004
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
Re: RE
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 05:52:07 AM »

Then carry it muzzle down...which is what I do...You just have to readjust your sling to accommodate this type of carry...It's actually quicker to get on target carrying this way than in the standard muzzle up position

Mac

When coyote hunting, I carry my 223 heavy Handi using a Butler Creek neoprene sling.  The sling is on backwards and I carry it barrel down.  It has a bipod, so it is WAY barrel heavy.  If I carried it barrel up, it'd probably tip me over.   ;D

Sure would hate to try to make a quick shot though, carrying the gun like this and all the other "stuff" that I carry out there.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 06:20:56 AM »

I know what you mean...but...I don't always have a bunch of equipment with me...maybe a fanny pack or small day pack...and it sure is easier carrying a Handi like this as compared to my Model 70 HV 223 Sharp Shooter...That rifle is really heavy... ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »
I always have LOTS to carry it seems like.

This is how I have the sling.