Author Topic: scout scope for Model 058  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
scout scope for Model 058
« on: November 01, 2007, 05:58:10 PM »
Question!  I have an H & R model 058 with 30-30 and 20 gage barrels and I would like to put a scout scope on the 30-30 barrel.  Does anyone make a mount that fits in the original scope mount holes and extends forward.  Kind of like the cantilever mounts on shotgun barrels only backward.  My eyes are getting too old to see the front sight.

Also, does the new synthetic stocks fit my gun?  Mine looks like I have been driving fence posts with it, from hauling it around in the truck and motorcycle.

regards
Jack

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: scout scope for Model 058
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »
Check the Scout Scope mount link in the FAQs. Dunno about the 058, but modern stocks wouldn't fit my 158.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:53:52 AM »
If the 58. 058, and 88 models are the same, (and I believe they are) the stocks will interchange. You might try an Ultra scope rail, it extends just an inch or 2 over the front of the chamber area but it might help, especially if you then added offset rings with the offset angled to the front and used a short scope with enough eye relief....good luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:41:48 AM »
It may be worth the effort to just put a proper scout mount on it.  This is a Thompson Contender mount on a 22 Mag with a 2.5X scope.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:48:03 AM »
I agree, if a scout mount setup is what you are after that setup looks great....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 04:54:53 AM »
Thanks guys!  Trotter, I just happen to have an extra TC mount, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again!
Jack