Author Topic: primer residue on Trim-mate  (Read 260 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
primer residue on Trim-mate
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
The lead contamination thread recently posted on this forum got me to thinking about the primer residue I get when I use my RCBS Trim-mate.

When I do a large batch of cases I can get a lot of primer residue around the primer pocket cleaner. What's the best way to remove that stuff?  I wish RCBS had designed the machine to make it easy to collect an remove that stuff - but I don't really have a better idea as to how to do that.

At present I carefully wipe that stuff up with a damp paper towel and try not to let it get spread around.  It can take a couple minutes to clean it off carefully.

Any thoughts on this?

Before I had a trim-mate I would clean pockets by hand over a paper towel then fold up and dispose - seemed pretty easy to control most of the dust.  But I have to admit I really like the trim mate when prepping cases.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: primer residue on Trim-mate
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »
I pull mine to the edge of the bench and a little beyond with the front of it. I have an old 15 pound powder keg I use as a trash can at my metallic loading bench. I use a brush and just gently brush it all off the trimmer and into the trash can. I think a dedicated vacuum likely would be best but my method works for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gary0529

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: primer residue on Trim-mate
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:59:18 AM »
I use a ShopVac with a HEPA filter.
Works for me.