Author Topic: I am a believer! (Lee Bullet Moulds)  (Read 1411 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
I am a believer! (Lee Bullet Moulds)
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:49:21 AM »
I have been casting projectiles for my Muzzle Loader for years using one of Lee's main competitors moulds. It is, and I am trying to be nice here, very touchy. On an exceptional day, I would get 75% good castings.
I just tried out my new Lee R.E.A.L. .50 cal bullet mold. Thirty castings with not one, not even the first one, defect.
Then I tried my new Lee 125 grain .358 mold. Twenty-five straight good pours. Then my 160 grain tumble lube .312 dia. The first pour didn't fill the nose well but the next ten were perfect.
For $18.99 each, from MidSouth. I will be buying more. Many more.
I am officially addicted.

alan

p.s. My Lee melting pot worked great also.
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: I am a believer! (Lee Bullet Moulds)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:32:29 PM »
  If you don't feed that pot dirty alloy it will not drip for a long time. I have lots of lee "junk" that I keep using with no problems.

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 01:32:35 PM »
I've got 7 Lee moulds and my favorite is the 255 grain RNFP in 45 Colt.  It shoots great in my Black Hawk and Trapper carbine and I've taken numerous deer and pigs with it, all with authority.  At the range it is my go-to for plinking when loaded down in either the pistol or rifle.  I've developed accurate plinking loads and hunting loads in both and the light ones have served as an introduction to center fire calibers for many novice shooters.

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:31:02 AM »
Get yourself a Lee 6-cavity mold and you'll really think you've died and gone to heaven.  You'll actually feel like you can reload 'em as fast as you can shoot 'em.

Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 12:58:58 AM »
I agree, gents -- Lee products are not really "cheap", they are just made to a certain price-point. That company decided to do things differently, and they have succeeded. My Lee molds have given good service, have always thrown good bullets (the REAL mold in particular), and are still going after years of use. I use a Lee press and scale, too, and nothing but Lee dies.

I just hope they can keep on making a profit manufacturing in this country. So darn much of our stuff is made overseas now. They are a small company out near the airport in Hartford, Wisconsin -- really home-grown. Nice people, too. It just worries me to see the costs going up so much in the shooting sports. Lee's bread-and-butter customers (me!!) are getting priced out of the sport.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 03:27:50 AM »
Get yourself a Lee 6-cavity mold and you'll really think you've died and gone to heaven.  You'll actually feel like you can reload 'em as fast as you can shoot 'em.

Just ordered a 6 cavity mould for my .357. (TL158 Grain SWC).
The only Lee mould I have had any trouble with is the "modern" minnie ball. Just can't get that thing to drop a good bullet without wrinkles, voids or etc.
Anybody got any suggestions?

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 04:21:11 AM »
I have three 6 cavity Lee molds that have worked nearly perfectly for me. They are TL452-200SWC, TL358-160SWC, TL358-148DEWC. These molds have produced the most accurate loads in every gun I tried them in. I also use the Lee 6 Cav handles for most of my other molds after I modify them to keep the wood handles from sliding off(I pin the metal caps).
Dave375HH

Offline Duckdog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 12:29:30 PM »
Alan,

Check for a small burr on the sprue hole. I had the same thing happening on one and that's what it was... or at least it stopped after I more or less just polished it off.
I must have about 25-30 of their molds and I ordered a 6 banger for some 32 acp and tok ammo... you're right on the mark, as I just couldn't believe how fast and how nice those baby's work.  I would not hesitate to order more 6 cavity if needed.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »

Just ordered a 6 cavity mould for my .357. (TL158 Grain SWC).
The only Lee mould I have had any trouble with is the "modern" minnie ball. Just can't get that thing to drop a good bullet without wrinkles, voids or etc.
Anybody got any suggestions?

alan

I am VERY new to casting but I was having the same problems.  They seems cured now, but the cures may vary.

I've done several things,
turned up the temp on the furnace
boiled the molds in soapy water for 30 min
hold the sprue plate as close as possible to the furnace when pouring
make sure the mold is warmed up first.  I set mine on top of the furnace to "pre-heat"

Most of these were suggestions from others, hope something helps.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!