Author Topic: NEF Ultra 12 ga slug gun  (Read 1480 times)

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
NEF Ultra 12 ga slug gun
« on: October 21, 2007, 07:44:17 AM »
Help, trying to find a slug this gun likes, have tried the Brenneke KO slug and it doesnt like it at all, would like to find a full sized slug to shoot in it, will try sabotted slugs as last resort, want a full sized slug that shoots accurately, any one out there have a slug that shoots well in the Ultra gun? JimP. ;D

Offline Francis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: NEF Ultra 12 ga slug gun
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:11:50 PM »
Hastings Laser Accurate, 3" magnums. If you can hold it still, holes thru the holes at 100/150/200 yds. www.grafs.com, best price, excellent shipping price.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 04:40:23 PM »
Hastings, Lightfields, and Win. BRI's
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline st8tman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:44:17 AM »
While every gun is unique in what it likes, my Ultra Slug Hunter 12 absolutely LOVES Remington 3" Buckhammers. 50 yards = one ragged hole 100yds = just a bit over 1". The recoil is substantial, but the results are equally amazing on game.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 09:13:30 PM »
I've only used the Wnchester BRI's, they shoot real good in my 12 and son's 20's. Maybe not the most modern, wiz-bang design, but they might be worth a try. Mark

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:13:09 AM »
I have the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe (I think that is the same shotgun to which you are referring) and all I have ever fed it for hunting are 3" Remington copper solids.  I sighted it in about 4 years ago at 75yds. and it's been like magic.  My first kill with it was about 110yds from a kneeling position at a deer that was laying down with it's butt toward me.  I aimed at the top of it's back and that's where it hit.

This year I actually set up to the scope at 100yds.  I shot 5 rounds and 3 of them were touching.  I'm real happy with it.

FWIW, I tried some Remington 2.75" Core Lokt rounds and it didn't like them near as much as the 3" Copper Solids and the recoil was noticeably worse.  I'm sticking with the CS...

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 03:13:13 AM »
I'll second Mgeorge's post.
I'm using the the Federal Barnes Expanders.
Both the 2-3/4" (1,450 fps) or 3" (1,525 fps) pattern extremely well.
They are very similar to the Copper Solids which also grouped well.

As Mgeorge experienced, either your USH will like the high velocity sabots (1,900 fps +) or it won't.
They'll punish your wallet and your shoulder but if they work it won't hurt nearly so bad in either place.
I've had no need for me to try them once I found the Barnes.
But I will say mine did not like Lightfields.

Unfortunately it's a time consuming and somewhat expensive process to find out what it likes.

Good luck.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:25:58 AM »
I have an H&R ultra slugger Talo special with the thumbhole stock.yada yada yada I went to sight it in sunday .It cost me $20 to get it on paper @20yds....Thats after cabelas boresighted it for me....However I found the elevation adjustment backed all the way out.....I turned it in 3 complete turns and that got me on paper @50 yds. It doesnot seem to like Hornaday SST............I threw a litefield in it and the windage was good.......the second one was 2inches right..the third one busted my head open a half inch gash right between my eye's....I call it my Leupold Tattoo.................blead pretty bad.......I packed up and went home. To jumpy after that. I bought this gun hearing and thinking it would be a 200yd shotgun...............I have a Marlin model 512 that shoots 2inch groups all day long @100yd with litefields.............So guys if you have a slugger that doesnt like the fast loads......but want to get good groups and good knockdown power . What would you recomend to try next?   This thing kick's so bad it tore open my caldwell shooting bag................ I figured with the weight of it  it wouldnt be bad.My friends shoot the 20gauge and clame zero recoil..................... Any help is greatly appreciated.Drop

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »
The shop I got mine from bore-sighted it for me (just a cheap Simmons ProHunter is on it) and I was on paper to start.  Since I'm bad at math, it took me 3 boxes to get it sighted in (some 5 years ago) and it's been good since.  When sighting or test firing it before the season across the top of my car, I *always* wear shooting glasses because no matter how careful I am to stay back from the scope, it will always get me it seems.

However, when I'm standing in the field or resting against a tree, I've never had the scope touch me -- and I tend to get rather cozy with the scope, too.

For reference here, I shoot Remington Copper Solids in 3".  The accuracy of this shotgun (rifle?) is very satisfying...

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »
Replace the factory recoil pad with a Sims Limbsaver slip on pad and it will recoil like a 20ga. How in the heck did you cut your eye with a Leupold scope, I thought they had good eye relief? I don't know about 200yds. but I did try 3 rounds 525 Lyman slugs- loaded to a slow 1450fps. at 170yrds. with a Nikon BDC. Standing up, a tree limb for a rest and got 6" group, pulled one two at 3" Oh the group was 8" low of the bull, the BDC will make that up with practise. My USH is very accuate at 100yd. with Lightfield Commanders IDS, Hastings, and Win. BRI's. Wish I had a Marlin 512 also!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 07:13:50 AM »
Just got to close to it I rekin....the eye relief is good......I didnt have the gun high enough and was leaning down to it I think. I have read about 8' groups out to 200yd with some slugs.................But I think its best I work into this one slowly...I really want it for my long range from a shooting tower or shack......I am greatly satisfied with my marlin 512 I have never shot a deer over 100yds.It shoots 2' groups @100yds with Litefields.............Shot a 7ptr through the heart last year at 95yds.............Drop

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
Has anyone tried the managed recoil rounds?

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 07:54:27 AM »
JimP...If you want a full size slug, I would opt for the Remington Buckhammers...I currently shoot Winchester Partition Golds out of my USH 12GA but I am going to try Lightfield Hybreds this season...We'll see how these things shoot...Hopefully I can get to the range tomorrow to try them out.  If they don't group, then I will stay with the Winchesters...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 911ne

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 01:07:55 PM »
2 3/4" copper solids make a ragged hole at 75 yards.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »
You are just going to have to bite the bullet (ha ha) and get a bunch and find out. Mine shoots the winchester rifled slugs pretty well. I always have pretty good luck with winchester ammo though. Try some winchesters, federal true balls and remingtons and see which one groups the best.

Keep in mind you are using a rifled barrel with rifled slugs, the barrel will foul out rather quickly. I get about 5 shots before things really go to heck. The first three are great normally. You have to really scrub the heck out the barrel to get them clean. I like to soak the barrel with a good solvent with a wet patch and let it sit for a while. Then put a soft metal brush on my cleaning rod and chuck it up in a cordless drill. Make a few passes then wipe the barrel out and do it again if it needs it.

I would say if you want full bore buckhammers will be your best bet, I hear they are pretty accurate out of these guns as well.

I honestly prefer a better bullet design myself over the large full bore slugs. I have hunted with inline muzzle loaders and shotguns both using lead slugs, modern XTP type bullets and the BRI sabot type rounds. After gutting deer shot by each I feel the modern controlled expansion bullets do much more damage to the internals, and penetrate better on bone.

I used the brenneke gold magnums that are full bore and weigh 600 grns a few years ago and was not overly impressed on the performance with a deer. Just punched right through the deer and did very little damage to the internal organs on the way through.

My gun seems to like the winchester platinums.

Good luck,
Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
For lead fouling, if you have or can get WipeOut foaming bore cleaner, give it a dose and leave it in overnight, run a tight patch thru it the next day, you'll get lead out in big flakes, works excellent with no elbow grease.  ;) I've used it in a heavily lead fouled muzzleloader bore that I had worked on extensively with everything sovent I had to include several that are said to be good for lead fouling, none were including Shooter's Choice, the WipeOut got all the fouling out in an overnight treatment with just running patches thru it, NO brushing!

SPECIAL NOTE FOR ALL SHOOTERS SHOOTING LEAD BULLETS.

We specifically state that Wipe-out does not dissolve lead.  Most chemicals that dissolve lead produce a galvanic reaction.  This reaction in effect acts like a battery.  In most cases it will etch steel ( both stainless and carbon steel).  It is for this reason that we don't use chemicals that specifically work on lead.

We use chemicals that will dissolve the other metals ( tin , antimony, zinc, etc.) that are incorporated in most bullet alloys.  So we work to destroy the integrity of the bullet alloy, and it begins to come apart in small black flakes.  This process takes about 24 to 36 hours.

So while Wipe-Out™ does not dissolve lead , it will degrade the alloy so that it can be pushed out with a tight patch. 

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

Here's  a cheap alternative that's may work well with little investment...

Quote from: Sure-Shot
If you have a barrel that is really leaded bad try a mix 1 part hydragen peroxide to 1 part white vinegar.  plug the end of the barrel fill with mixture, let sit no more than 15 minutes, pour out pour hot water through to stop any further process, brush and then oil.  I had to do it twice on one rifle that was so bad you couldn't chamber a round.  Only thing I could figure was they shot some undersized pure lead to get that bad.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8122&highlight=peroxide+lead

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain