Author Topic: New Life into an Old Cartridge!  (Read 977 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
New Life into an Old Cartridge!
« on: October 08, 2007, 08:45:52 PM »
I started reloading shotgun shells in elementary school, and paid others to reload for my .270 when I was in high school and a couple years after wards.  While I did not reload the ammunition directly I did learn a few things.  And the main benefit was that I was able to shoot a couple of hundred rounds before deer season and use the rifle to hunt Jack Rabbits and yotes.    And the number of rounds per deer rapidly decreased with the installation of a scope and more practice.

Even with the taxpayer buying me ammunition and getting a lot of practice on still and moving targets I still reloaded for a number of calibers.  It has been close to twenty years when a buck has required more then one shot.  I was on top of a steep rock face and shot a moving buck a little far back.  A second shot was required.  Other then that I have had a steady string of one shot kills.  Yes, they have come at a price, but a price that I am willing to pay.  I feel that reloading has provided me with a more direct knowledge of the rounds I am loading.  Part of that is a working relationship using a ballistics programs so that I understand what that loaded is doing after it has been fired from my rifle.  An extension of that relationship the last few years is the use of a Chrony.

I believe that practice makes a safer hunter, because it allows him to have more gun handling time, be it at the range, hunting varmints, or other types of practice.  A shooter who is familiar with his firearm is less apt to have an accidental discharge.  It is scary to see a hunter who is not familiar with his rifle in the field.

Reloading, and testing at times can allow a shooter to improve on factory ammunition.  As an example my father gave me his Remington 722 in .300 Savage when advanced age would no longer allow him to hunt.  While the rifle was accurate, I found that Winchester, and Remington ammunition velocity was from 100 to 150 fps slower then advertised in the 722’s 24-inche barrel.  I consulted a number of reloading manuals and IMR publications for data.  I tried IMR4320 and IMR4064 powders and decided that I would go with IMR4064.

While common thirty years ago one needs to look around to find ammunition for the .300 Savage now days. And the only bullet weight I have been able to find on the shelve for years has been 150-grains.  As a reloader most bullet weights and brands are within my reach.  Bulk commercial brass has not been difficult to get.  For a few years I was buying military surplus 7.62 brass and resizing and trimming to the correct length.

My family used 150-grain bullets in the three, .300 Savages in the house and they were proven deer getters.  I developed a number of successful loads using 150-grain bullets, and also add AA2015BR powder.  But I watched a friend shoot a number of deer with the 30-06 using 165-grain bullets.  I was impressed with the results, and started using the 165 grain bullets in my –06.  And decided that the 165 grain bullet was idea in the .300 Savage.  It offered flatter long-range trajectory, and more energy then the 150-grain bullet.

I started working up a load using IMR4064.   I found the accuracy good, and the velocity exceeded factory 150-grain velocity. I also found that I could load the Nosler PT, Hornady, and Remington C-L with the same charge and it will put the bullet in the same little group at 100-yards.

I have read a number of times where somebody says the  .300 Savage is a difficult round to reload.  All I can say is Bull Feathers.  It is no more difficult then other rounds I load.    Reloading has put new life into an old round for me.

This October, 2007 I carried the rifle hunting in memory of a father who started me hunting.  He spent his hard earned cash on a new .270 for me, while he continued to hunt with his old .300.   And I can remember the day he told me that he could no longer physically get out and hunt.  He offered me the choice of his three .300 Savages and I selected the 722.

The results in the field were very satisfying.

The .300 Savage, the first short magnum that was developed to give 30-06 velocities in a lever action, when it first came on the market.  Of course with modern powders the 30-06 far exceeds anything the .300 Savage does today.  In this case the Nosler 165 grain entered the top of the right shoulder and exited the left side of the neck.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline 303Guy

• Avid Poster
Re: New Life into an Old Cartridge!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
That was well said,  Siskiyou - thanks for the thread!  Made me think of my Dad (who is still with us, at 87).

303Guy

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:49:49 AM »
Siskiyou,

First, great post. I have recently become a fan of the 300 Savage cartridge. My 300 is a wonderful old Remington Model 81 semiauto rifle that I found in a local gun shop. I had long wanted an 8 or 81, and this one is in really nice original condition. At first, I sort of wished that it was chambered in 35 Remington, but now I have come to appreciate the virtues of the 300 Savage. I have begun loading for it, and must agree with you, the 300 isn't a reloading problem at all. Now, I would love to find a  fine old bolt action like your 722 and a Savage 99 chambered for the 300. Thanks for sharing. ;D

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:55:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing this story. I really enjoy reading the stories that others have experienced.
Safety first

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:37:32 AM »
A very nice story ;D I think you captured the essence of reloading and the nostalgia of old guns as well as memories quite well, thank you for sharing. :D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 12:41:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing. It brings back good memories of what was passed down from father to son. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 04:27:45 AM »
I'll be hunting this year with a .300 Savage topped with a vintage Weaver 1.5x4.5 scope.  The rifle is a Remington 700 Classic. I am loading the ammo with a Lee Loader. (I'm using a Lyman 1200 instead of the powder scoop however)
I have ammo loaded with 150s in Grand Slams, Core Lokts, and Speer RNs.  They're all @ 2700fps +/- and shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. 

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 07:43:39 AM »
I've reloaded the short  .300 for over 20 years, and my hunting partners and I have taken dozens of Kodiak Island blacktails with the cartridge....in our Contenders.  We found the 150-grain Ballistic Tip at ca. 2400 fps to give outstanding performance from under 15 yards to over 250 yards.  It has long been my go-to barrel for any serious medium game handgun hunting that might involve shooting over 100 yards.

I have experienced zero loading problems with this cartridge, which makes me wonder about the credibility of those who condemn it for being "tricky" to reload - this includes the hacks who write cartridge descriptions in loading manuals.  I suppose some folks can scr*w-up an anvil with a rubber mallet.... ::)  BTW, Speer gets it right in their #14 Manual.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
My Wildcatter brother, who was the prodigal son, received the Savage 99, 20-inch carbine from my Dad.  As a kid he was very successful with it, then he handed it down to the next brother in line when he received M760 in .270.  After he received the M99 as his own he sold it or traded it. The other brother received a Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage.

Over the years he has purchased many fine rifles and then re-barreled them to a wildcat cartridge.  It appears that he has returned to the fold.

He recently purchased a fine, early Model 760 in .300 Savage.  He and I have spent a fair amount of time discussing loads.  His outstanding success with the .300 Savage has been with 150-grain bullets.  And I expect him to reload 150-grain bullets.  Powder is up in the air, but expect him to load with IMR4895 or H4895.  I have suggested that he load 165-grain bullets.  He has a good supply of them for his –06 and .308 Norma Magnum.  But he is set on 150-grain bullets.  I have pointed out to him the 165-grain bullets hold up better after one hundred yards then the 150’s and they generate more energy.

But I must confess that I have a supply of .300 Savage ammunition that I loaded years ago with 150-grain bullets.  I consider it good deer ammunition. But I switched to the 165s when the bears started mistaking the sound of a gunshot as the dinner bell.  I also have a supply of 130 grain Ballistic Tips that I will load for coyote if I ever take the time.

At one time he tried to talk me out of my 722 in .300 Savage so that he could butcher it into some wildcat round.  I am concerned that within a couple of years he will start looking at wildcatting the M760 destroying a fine arm.  If he starts talking that way I am considering buying it from him.  He may have me over a barrel. 

But he is currently doing the right thing.  He has ordered dies, and bulk brass.  When the winter snow flies I expect he will be cranking .300 Savage ammunition.  He knows the .300 Savage is effective because he killed 8 to 10 deer with it in a three year period as a teenager.  And he was using 150-grain bullets.  Most of them were Remington C-L or Bronze Points.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »
very nice story. I also inherited a 300 savage in a model 99 from my dad. I reload for it also. I use 150 grain bullets and 39.6 grains of IMR 4895. I have taken some deer with it, but I dont take it out much anymore due to my fears of banging it up. I did order a barrel from fox ridge for my encore in 300 savage. I plan for it to become my go go deer hunting rifle. 
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive