Author Topic: Seemingly dreadful tip on tumbling cases  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Seemingly dreadful tip on tumbling cases
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 06:42:25 AM »
You can pick up a tumbler for around $30 so why bother

Exactly!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 01:56:09 AM »
I agree totaly. Nice thing to is most come with a cover so a guy doesnt even have to take a chance.
You can pick up a tumbler for around $30 so why bother

Exactly!
blue lives matter

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
Beemanbeme:

That's a good question, and one I never thought to ask because I assumed that the ventilation etc at indoor ranges was satisfactory. Then I learned more about it from two compelling individuals. One used to work for the US Army Marksmanship Unit and was a police armorer, and the other owns the indoor range we shoot at.
Safety first

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
I just soak them in apple cider vinegar for around 30 minutes or so then dry them in a warm oven and the tumble them with corncob media treated with Flitz polish, they come out looking better than new.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 02:04:41 AM »
I've been out for a while, but have read all the responses so far. And, no offense, but I just don't buy in to the idea that picking up range brass and touching a pencil and then placing the pencil in your mouth is going to give you high levels of lead in your body. any lead contamination from the primers will be inside the case with very little, if any on the outside.

I've had several blood tests over the past several years, and have been casting lead, shooting lead bullets and touching all kinds of spent casings over the past 25 years and I do not have lead poisoning or elevated levels of lead in my body.

Your friend must be getting the lead from another source. As stated above, an unventilated indoor shooting range or he is ingesting it somehow.

How's his relationship with his wife? ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 02:52:19 AM »
Having been a plumber since 1972 i have been around lead alot , have poured 1000's of joints in open and confined areas .I have placed and formed more lead pans than i can remember . for years my work pants had lead on them from splatter .  We ate lunch many days with little in the way of washing hands due to lack of anywhere to do it .
I cast lead bullets and shoot alot outdoors and a little indoors . I have been lucky so far but have tried to respect what lead can do . I wouldn't try to say your friend was right or wrong only he should look at his lifestyle for other ways he might have gotten overexposure .
not as a joke but something that occurred to me while writing - did the pencils come from China ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »
Did I not say something about "outcome driven research"? You draw the conclusions and then bias the questions to support the answers.  The gun grabbers do it all the time.  (imagine a biiig smiley face)

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 02:12:08 PM »
I've told this story before but I'm going to re-tell it because it is obvious there are people here who need to hear it.  I started casting bullets back in the middle 90's and soon developed the same concern many of you have with the possibility of getting lead poisoning.  Then it occurred to me that I was employed at a can manufacturing plant and that in the old days they sealed the side seam of the can with lead.  It also occurred to me that many of the older mechanics at the plant had worked in the business when lead was used.  They worked around molten lead day in and day out, month in and month out..............etc.  They also were not, as a group, particularly careful about keeping lead off of their hands and clothing (I deduced that from watching their personal hygene habits today).  SO it seemed to me  there'd be some good stories about the bad effects of lead poisoning from their ranks.  Well, it was a complete bust.  When I queried them about the topic they all sort of looked at me like I'd just stepped off a flying saucer and asked, "What problems? We never had any problems with lead poisoning."  From time to time the company would have them tested for lead levels in their systems but only on rare occasion was anybody taken off the line (until the lead levels dropped back down to normal).  Now when it comes to children it is, I believe, an entirely different story.  But once you've grown up physically you really have to ingest a LOT of lead to get health problems.  This issue is like everything else the enviro-wackos blow out of proportion, ya gotta take it with a grain of salt, but NOT TOO MUCH SALT, that's really bad for ya!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 06:55:44 AM »
I have reloaded and cast a lot of bullets for the past fifty years. I chew tobacco and am constantly stuffing it in my mouth with fingers very dirty with lead. I can positively attest that "I ain't done got no dane bramage yit! ;D
But as to case tumblers, I got along for forty years without one but since I acquired a Lyman tumbler I don't know why I didn't get it much sooner. You can get a tumbler that works fine for so little money that I see no reason to fool with "home brews". You can easily pay more for a good set of scope rings, you can get a tumbler for less than a set of RCBS dies or a bullet mould. I survive on social security but even I can afford a case tumbler.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.