Author Topic: What We Use to Drive...  (Read 467 times)

TM7

What We Use to Drive...
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
 ;D,,,,,What some of guys us o drive in the good ole days.....TM7

http://oldfortyfives.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What We Use to Drive...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:55:42 PM »
That certainly brings back the memories, both cars and music. I had a '57 Chevy when I got married. Still got the wife. Wish I still had the car.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »
My 1st car was a 76 Buick Riviera with a 455 under the hood. A couple of  other favorites that I've owned are a 68 Mustang coupe with a 289, and  a "rusty but trusty" full sized Ford F100 PU truck (a 1976 I think) with an inline 6 cyl.
Regards , Mark
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 05:25:50 PM »
I've owned a bunch of cars from that era. My first was a '55 Studebaker followed by a '56 Ford and then a '59 Chevy Impala that was bad rusted out. We lost the gas tank a couple of times. The first I bent a rusted piece of barbed wire back and forth until I broke off a long enough piece to wire it back in. Once when me and my wife (before we were married) where coming back home from Gadsden it fell off again and I forget how I got it back that time as we were in town not on a country dirt road with a rusted out barbed wire fence. But we got back home even if a bit late.

I had a '55 Ford pick up also and a lot of other old cars and trucks from the era. I had a pair of fastback Mustangs from '66 and one from '65. My first '66 had been modified with a full Cobra kit and was never out run by anything. It registered 140 on the speedometer and I've seen it pegged beyond that in a race. No clue how fast we were going but we were moving for real.

I can definitely relate to the music and all the rest in that video.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 07:09:53 PM »
I too can relate to the music and the cars in that video.  My first car was a 56 Mercury Monteray.  Then a 58 Mercury with a 430 Lincon engine, with two Holly four barrels.  Lost my license for six months over that one, Troopers said I was doing 135mph, I thought I was doing around 80, the speedometer was broken, and it only went to 120mph anyway.  Then I left home and went into the military.  In 68 while stationed in California I had a 56 Corvette.  One night while crossing the Richmond bridge across San Francisco Bay, my roommate was driving and I was awakened by a feeling of floating.  I looked over at the speedometer and it was setting on 130, That's the last time I let him drive.  I've had others that I would love to have now, but alas they are gone forever.  Auston Healy bug eyed sprite, 1949 MG TC, 1952 MG TD, 1956 Jaguar 3.8 ltr Sedan, 58 Ford Crown Victoria, and even like on the video a 1955 Nash Metropolitian.  Now there was a car, rode like a log wagon, 3 speed on the column, dinky four cylinder engine, windshield right in your face, and to reach the trunk you had to pull the seat forward, it could only be reached from inside the car.  The girls loved that little continental tire kit, they thought it was so cute.  Then I got married and have only owned pick-ups ever since.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 05:21:09 AM »
I was very lucky in '57. Been out of high school a year. A friend had a '57 Ford Fairlane, think the speedometer showed 130. There were four of us with him one night and he was showing off on a crooked highway. He had never been on it but I drove it every day to work. We were coming up on a tight curve that I told him we couldn't make. The speedometer was showing 125. He replied "we'll make it". We didn't. There was a caliche rock about the size of a wash tub out in the pasture and he hit it with the left front wheel. This pulled us in a big curve back to the road and we hit it at a culvert that was about 3' high and we bounced right back up in the middle of the road and stopped. I got a badly bruised elbow and bruised ribs where I bounced off the dash. Guy in the right front hit the windshield, broke his glasses, and split his eyebrow open. No one else was hurt. The car was totalled. I never road with him again.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 06:10:49 AM »

OOOHHH Yes !

My first car was a 1939 Olds coupe, like the pic..only dark green.soon changed to turquois over cream (popular '54 Chrysler combo).

Next a 1950 Studebaker starlight coupe..like the pic, except someone had painted the upper half (roof) dark blue before I got it.

This car sat idle at Iome while i spent my first hitch in the Army...it was downhill from there..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)