Author Topic: 45/70 which powder?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline jake2454

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 45/70 which powder?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
black powder load data for cartridge loading may be available from the black powder or substitute manufacturer as well as from possibly this and other forums.
American pioneer lists some cartridge loads for their product.
the weights i listed were values obtained by weighing the powder after it had met the volumetric parameters.
remember that black powder and i believe all of the substitutes are to be used on a volume to volume basis....not weight.
whereas empty space is commonplace in many smokeless powder cartridge loads, it is important to avoid empty spaces in black powder or BP substitute cartridge loading as they can lead to dangerous pressures. also you may want to start with a lighter bullet to reduce case pressure.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »
Mc,

As Jake said, you need a blackpowder volume measure, once you have it, you can either continue to use it for each charge, or if you want to be more precise, measure out a few loads, and weigh each on a powder scale to find an average weight, then you can pour weighed charges. The brass one is the type I used since it makes it easy to pour in the muzzle of a front stuffer, but there are many types, both traditional and modern.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jake2454

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 10:26:05 AM »
Tim, i have the same brass powder measure.......came with a Thompson renegade that i got from my late friend bill.
the following is an bit of an email that i received recently from GOEX.

"You can load 70 grains of 2f or 3f, or Cartridge in the 45-70 with any bullet weight between 293 and 540 grains with no safety issues whatever as long as the rifle is in good condition.  Powder charges above 65 grains will be compressed with the heavier bullets.

Two things are important.  One is that the cartridge be loaded without any airspace between the bullet and the powder, and the other is that you need to be sure to use a dedicated black powder lube on the bullet.  Otherwise fouling will be significant and difficult to remove. 

Sincerely, Bill Bagwell"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
Mc is switching to 777, Hodgdon's 2008 Basic Reloading manual data shows 55gr by volume for the Lyman 457125 500gr bullet, they recommend no compression with 777, the base of the bullet should be just touching the powder, there's a warning that NO compression should be used with 777 which conflicts with their online data that states light compression can be used. The new manual can be ordered at the link below, they ship worldwide according to the order form.

Tim

http://www.hodgdon.com/Order/Order.php?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HP&Product_Code=am&Category_Code=RD

Offline jake2454

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 02:02:42 PM »
wow...i wonder what their final answer is

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
The warning states that high pressure can result from compression, and damage to the firearm and injury to the shooter can result with heavy compression. So maybe they've had some failures in weak firearms due to compression so they no longer recommend it at all. If in doubt, contact them.  ;)

Tim

help@hodgdon.com

913-362-9455
Fax 913-362-1307

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 06:24:09 AM »
SmokinJoe,
I looked at my recipe and it says I stopped at 45gr. That must have looked almost full to me, that's a lot of powder compared to the Hornet.  I have only shot this in my Ruger #3. The 35 whelen I found that I could use the .358 Hornaday Single Shot Pistol Bullet with IMR 4227. I shoot this out of a Ruger MII. I think I will start using other powders though. I'll have to take a trip to Oklahoma City so I can get some differnt powder. I use the IMR4227 for these:

Pharmboy

Not for the faint of heart...

Well...if that is what Quick Loads states...I'll stick with regular reloading manuals...The OAL is way too short for the 45-70 in this load...The correct OAL is 2.550" not 2.470"...and it's no wonder the pressure curve is showing what it is..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...