Author Topic: got a few ?  (Read 384 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
got a few ?
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:15:29 PM »
i have a 44 mag  Handy went to the range the other day shot win 240 sjsp 100 yds with red dot bsa hit the bulls eye on the first shot i was amazed  so i put in a win 44 special 200 silvertip marked x44sthps2 it hit same spot 1and a  half in down with almost no recoil will this 44 special kill deer out to 100 i was looking on the handgun thread but i didnt see any factory bullet info just Keith loads n such im not reloading so i half to go factory i took a shot at a chicken swinger at 200 with mag n special had to aim about 3 to 4 in high but it rang the chicken didnt move it to much but hit it so im thinking both these bullets would work but im not to sure the special would do the trick what do you guys im going to stay in the 100 yard or less range any info would be appreciated thanks

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: got a few ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 11:20:23 PM »
No doubt the .44 special will kill deer, but why bother when you can use the mags? Simply a better tool for the job, especially past 50 yards or so. If legal, the specials would probably make dandy turkey loads, great varmint/small game rounds where noise is concerned, and less meat destruction. For deer, I'd say stick with the mags. Maybe if noise was an absolute factor, and deer are small, and range is very close, and if you can really pick your shot....
Just my opinion..
Mark

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:36:23 AM »
The key to killing deer is bullet construction and placement. But bullet energy is important too. In a handgun, there is 500 fps difference between a 44 Special and a 44 Mag. In a rifle ,there will be even more difference. Do not handicap yourself with a 44 Special, use the 44 Mag and make sure you can put down that deer humanely. If recoil is a concern, then get a better recoil pad and put a Mercury recoil suppressor in the butt to reduce recoil.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 01:46:21 AM »
I agree with GatCat and LaOtto. Use the specials for plinking or small game but stick with the magnums for deer hunting.

I'm sure that you could take a deer cleanly and humanely with the specials but everything would have to be perfect (shot distance, angle, etc.)

Just my opinion but the magnums would probably do a better job.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Spanky

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:53:19 PM »
thanks guys ill stick with the mags never thought of small game with 44 but i might give it a try thanks for input good luck hunting be careful out there