Author Topic: OT - It's not my favorite spot for nothing  (Read 842 times)

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
OT - It's not my favorite spot for nothing
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:17:46 AM »
Well this past Thursday to Saturday was my first turn this year to deer hunt, and my favorite spot payed off as usual.

Thursday started with an unusual 3:30 am wake up, usually I drive out the night before but not this year, though as it turned out I was late for shooting light by 15-20 min. But this one spot is more  of a mule deer spot so not so critical and it was a dark night so I figured they would be moving a little later. I hunt the area a bit different than most of the other guys most are spot and stalk (or just plain old road warriors) you can see them in the trucks down below. I have access to get close to the tops (no hunting on but access to cross a property) and hike over and watch from above.

I am easing into my usual lookout and out of habit I give a half hearted check of a grass flat which I have on very rare occasion seen a deer well in my rush maybe it was more like quarter hearted. But in my hast I spooked a whitetail buck and doe (I did say I was in my mule deer spot right) not a huge buck but a very pretty high rack I was a half second too slow, but there was more to come.

Two minutes later I am in my spot and shortly after that I find a small band of mule deer with a decent 4x4, the wind was wrong for a stalk, but they were just below a little flat that I have shot on to before so I was waiting them out. I had watched them for about 15 min when I hear a warning snort on the other side of a clump of bush up on the ridge to my right. I figured I was busted but then I realized that the snort came from up wind  so I crawled over to the other side of the small clump of trees that is my blind, and I hear another snort, and then I spot some whitetail does and as I suspect they are looking down the ridgeline so they had no Idea that I was there. so while I waited for the does to get into the clear a plan hatched in my mind.

I started the day with 4 tags Buck and doe for both mule deer and whitetail. Normally I like to fill my doe tags first get the pure meat hunting done first. so I figured that it was a safe gamble that I could shoot the whitetail on the other side of the ridge without unduly spooking the mule deer down below.  So as the does clear the last bit of bush in the way I was ready for the shot the bi-pod was deployed and level and the scope cranked to 12 power (steven's 200 in 270 130 sierra's) there was on issue the doe was real close to a very steep and bushy coulee. So I skipped the usual double lung and decided on a high shoulder shot, I wanteed her dead right there. after about 200 yards that is what the bullet did she packed up right there. After a moment confirmin she was down for good I  crawled over to the other side.

And as I hoped the mule deer were alert but not fully spooked. After a little more crawling I got the rifle level and set again and picked a mule deer doe out of the group. this was probably the longest shot I have tried but I was rock solid. at the shot 5the second doe was down. With that shot the secon doe was down (probaly 30 sec do a minuit later. With that shot the buck showed himself but even though I had him standing twice I missed him clean. As it turned out I did not account for the down angle and over shot. as it turned out I had just clipped the mule doe in the spine and she required another shot. So after confirming the miss on the buck I dressed and dragd out the does. After that I took the evening off I was tired and sore.

The next Am found me in my whitetail spot and since we are nearing peak of the rut I was planning a day of sitting especially since I woke up rteally sore from the previous days activity. At first light we are higer up the valley just glassing to see where the deer are moving this year and on the other side we see a pair of good mule deer  come over the valley edge. we can't hunt that side but we decide to go low and try to call them in.  Nothing happen and my buddy has to go to work so I easy a little further down not the valley floor is my whitetail spot so I start to rattle and grunt, but nothing up till Right near lunch time when I turn my head and comment to myself that the stump at the edge of the clearing I have been looking at all morning really looks like a deer now. then the mule deer buck standing besides that same stump turns it head and trots off looking for does. never really giving me a shot. Didn't I say this was my whitetail spot?

So finally my bladder wins out and I head up to the car for a quick stop and lunch, as I clear the bush I see that buck running around the top field (again no hunting here). I figure I would take an hour then head back in for the rest of the day. But rather than sit in the no hunting zone I fugue I would do what the road warriors do and eat lunch looking up at my hill side, So I am 3" into my garlic sausage and I spot some deer about 300 400 yards south of where I had shot the day before so I put the glasses on them and I see 3 deer and 1 just might have antlers. So I pull out the 204 handi(sorry the only handi content of the post) and at 18x I can see it is the same buck as the day before so with a good wind lunch is over and I head up to my secret backside access point, on the way downing a liter of water and an candy bar.  So I pull a short stalk but I can't find them, as it turns out they were in a dip that I could not see into. So as I was trying to figure out a way to find them a though struck me.

Mule deer does readily respond to fawn distress calls, so I though that since the rut is on if I can get the does up and moving towards be they would tow in the buck well after  a couple of bleats and 30 second, those does are up and looking around and guess who is in tow. Now I did not execute this very well because I was in a ver poor shooting position but after a quck crawl I was level and solid on the bi-pod. Now I was still looking at a long shot 250 plus and and almost a steep down hill as the miss . But I had him dead broad side and standing. though this day I was making sure to hold low on the heart and at the shot he tumbles and is down as it turns out I still hit him high but in the lungs the sierra head (the one I have though was a little too soft) had turned most of the lungs into red mush and exited. And yet another long drag down the hill Because up and over would be way harder.

And yes with a little creativity 3 deer can fit into a trunk of a corolla.

Sorry no picks the camera was left on the kitchen table, and now I have some butchery to do.

The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: OT - It's not my favorite spot for nothing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:40:39 AM »
Wow, that's some story!! I was tired after the first drag out, let alone another on the same day, no wonder yiou were sore the next day!!

I can only dream of taking multiple deer in one season, let alone one day, thanks for sharing. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doug K.A.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 07:26:10 AM »
Great story!! Sounds like you had a great time
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:36:49 AM »
Great shooting and thanks for sharing! 3 deer would be dream come true for me.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »
I would have loved to see the trunk of that car.  Good shooting.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:26:42 AM »
Actually the trunk was not that full, but on the drive home you could feel the weight in the suspension.

I have never liked deer ribs so they never made it home but once the back straps are de-boned and quarters cut up a deer packs pretty flat.

Tags in the area are likely going to slow down, over the last few years a population of cougars has been establishing in the area, mind you that could be a blessing since the area is about 100 km south of a Chronic Wasting hot spot.

I think I know what I want for Christmas .... A game cart :)
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:43:11 AM »
Nice hat-trick.

I've done it once before in Michigan.  One in the morning and two in the evening.

But I had an S-10 to throw them in.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:47:18 AM »
Great story aulrich, thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »
What's the OT stand for??? I hate acronyms, ah most of them.
I can quote a few of them, Over time, open tool box, Outside temperature,
On Tack, On Time, Orthhopedic therapy,
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 12:01:08 PM »
Off Topic, although in this case, I don't think it's very much that way, and I don't think anyone objects to reading a good hunting story, and Aulrich did have a Handi with him!! ;D

Tim

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »
Tim
Never thought of that acronym. It is a good story and is not off topic. Since I did not know what he ment by OT I just got turned off by the story.
I sure get anoyed by acronyms, they are  terribly unpolite.Off Topic
how much writing does that take?
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 02:51:19 PM »
It's not unlike the acronyms used to name many chambering, AI, WSM, WSSM, SAUM, RUM, ect. No one complains about them, they just are. ;)

You think that's bad, check this out!!

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Tim

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 04:11:16 PM »
Tim
I checked it out, there is no Off Topic. At least I could not find one.

Es ist eine unbeschreibliche und dofe Abkürzung.

Kann you read that, no you can't with out goin through the trouble of using a dictionary or asking someone that can read it. Same idea.

Yes there are lot of acronyms that we all know about specially pertaining to a certain subject.  Alright  that is enough of the BS (Bovine Excrement.) Call a spade a spade, never mind the circumvolution. (run around the rosie).

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline fish280

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 04:24:46 PM »
i had three in the back of jeep wrangler once. that was a trip ...

good story, there.
His,
><>

Offline cascadedad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »
fwiw, I don't mind acronyms at all.

gtg

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 11:18:35 PM »
Great story, aulrich.  Very exciting and entertaining.  I especially enjoyed your logic and strategy.   

Thanks again.