Author Topic: AMERC Brass  (Read 483 times)

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
AMERC Brass
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:32:08 AM »
Just started back reloading .223 for my Bushmaster. I picked up a couple hundred mixed cases on the range to get started back. Among them were some AMERC brass. I have found the same brass to be useless in the pistol calibers, but thought I might give the rifle brass a try anyway. Based on my low expectations, I only loaded two rounds to try. First round chambered hard (forward assist required) but fired and ejected, the second round didn't go all the way into battery and stuck tightly in the chamber! It took a little work and ingenuity to get it out safely, but lesson learned. AMERC goes into the trash. Just a heads up for anyone out there who might not have heard about this junk.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GREYGHOSTt

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: AMERC Brass
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »
+1 on the trash!!!
third eye blinds the other two.

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
I experienced the quality of Amerc brass when reloading 45ACP. It was so bad that it got me in the habit of culling my brass just to make sure there wasn't any Amerc in it. That stuff was horrible!
Safety first

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
I learned my first lesson on .45 ACP brass. Just relearned it with the .223. Don't know why I even messed with the stuff again! I won't have to learn it a third time!
Savage

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 02:51:11 PM »
I won't have to learn it a third time!
Savage

You mean they make shotshells? :o

Scott (don't even try) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 03:30:29 PM »
Just started back reloading .223 for my Bushmaster. I picked up a couple hundred mixed cases on the range to get started back. Among them were some AMERC brass. I have found the same brass to be useless in the pistol calibers, but thought I might give the rifle brass a try anyway. Based on my low expectations, I only loaded two rounds to try. First round chambered hard (forward assist required) but fired and ejected, the second round didn't go all the way into battery and stuck tightly in the chamber! It took a little work and ingenuity to get it out safely, but lesson learned. AMERC goes into the trash. Just a heads up for anyone out there who might not have heard about this junk.
Savage

Excuse my ignorance. I've never even heard of this stuff. You said the first round you reloaded chambered hard? Why is that the fault of the brass? If it had been run through a full length die to re-size and trimmed to trim length, it should have been returned to min spec's right? That should fit in the chamber.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
The Amerc 45 ACP brass is thicker than standard, so even when it is full length sized, once you stick a bullet in it...the round is over sized.  Some guns with oversized chambers can handle it, but most will choke on it.   I trash it when I find it.

By the way, you can feel the difference when you size it, and if you have a Lee factory crimp die, you can really feel it.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 02:41:03 AM »
I have been told that it is not uncommon for new Amerc ammo to be out of spec enough that chambering was difficult or even impossible on as much as 5-10% of the rounds. I have not tried their loaded ammo, nor am I likely to!
Savage

Offline jgalar

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 03:28:28 AM »
I didn't want to comment as I have never heard of the brass before and didn't want to sound like I've been living under a rock.

Good to know.

Offline Questor

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 05:38:22 AM »
rbwillnj:

You're right about the oversize. I could tell I had an Amerc case when I couldn't resize the case without putting undue pressure on it. It was oversize before the bullet went in.
Safety first