Author Topic: We're a funny bunch!  (Read 755 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
We're a funny bunch!
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:51:56 AM »
Over at the Savageshooters forum, we swap barrels about like the Handi, but the funny thing is, a used barrel ALWAYS goes for anywhere from half to two thirds of new price.  Maybe a bit more if it's a custom barrel.

There are some factory barrels that are no longer made by the factory, like 220 Swift, that are drawing more, but they are rare.  The thing is they ALWAYS fit.

Why are the Handi barrel prices new or higher, a lot of times?  I know most can just be swapped without fitting, but it's still a guess, and there's the shipping/factory fitting charge, but still?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: We're a funny bunch!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »
The wait has a lot to do with it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:20:01 AM »
Switching barrels on a Savage is easy, but you need a special wrench and an action wrench and barrel vise are nice to have too. I have done it several times and am all set up for it. Then there is the hesitation of some to set the head space, thinking they will mess it up. Oh and there is taking the scope off and back on and re zeroing it after the swap. All you need to swap out a Handi barrel is a screw driver. If you have a scope mounted on each barrel you are already zeroed and ready to go. If you checked, I bet there five that switch barrels on a Handi for everyone that does one on a Savage, so it comes down to supply and demand as a factor. Like was said you have to send in to get a barrel fitted by the factory, you just can not order one so if you buy a used one and fit it your self, then you can have it right away or just a matter of days.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »
Only about a year or two ago barrels were cheaper on this site, shotgun barrels were going for $30 to $40 or $50 and rifle barrels could be had for anywhere from $60 to $75, but the prices began to rise when they started to go for very high prices on E-bay. Most members here avoided those high priced barrels but the prices slowly crept up on this site also. E-bay of course no longer sells gun barrels but the damage has been done. I look at it as similar to gas prices, the rise very easily but it is very rare when the prices come down, and rarely is it with the speed, or in the same amount, as they have risen....<>,....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:28:27 AM »
Yes

We're a funny bunch!

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:41:03 PM »
Yes when we are bored we raise the prices on H & R just for the fun of it!
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
We are a funny bunch!

Who else changes barrels with a multi tool screwdriver, and uses "O" rings and refrigerator magnets or caulk to float a barrel?

Just for the fun of it the other day I browsed the Encore rifle section, and realized why I have a Handi.

Yes everything fits snug and doesn't need fitting, but all that you pay for, so the cost is pretty steep.

I'm just glad we have a cheaper option where we can save some dollars, and with a little elbow grease and determination we can end up with a product that rivals the competition.

Handi's aren't ever going to be the gun for everyone, but it is the choice of a lot of us!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »
Does anyone have  a link to the Savage forum mentioned above? I have an old rusty to play with.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 05:14:57 PM »
That is the link!

www.savageshooters.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 03:08:24 AM »
Okay, thanks. I somehow found a site that said it was the forum, but the only post said it was a replacement forum for another. Maybe I just found it while they were working on it.

That Savage muzzle loader (smokeless capable) sounds interesting. Wakeman's comments are not.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 05:14:05 AM »
Only about a year or two ago barrels were cheaper on this site, shotgun barrels were going for $30 to $40 or $50 and rifle barrels could be had for anywhere from $60 to $75, but the prices began to rise when they started to go for very high prices on E-bay. Most members here avoided those high priced barrels but the prices slowly crept up on this site also. E-bay of course no longer sells gun barrels but the damage has been done. I look at it as similar to gas prices, the rise very easily but it is very rare when the prices come down, and rarely is it with the speed, or in the same amount, as they have risen....<>,....:)

My question is why folks have to heavily discount their barrels to make some happy...? If I pay $135 for one to be fitted & shipped to me..and never use it...Asking $110-$125 is only normal for an unmodified as new barrel...Add to that a price for good custom gun smithing up to $400-$500 or more...it's only normal to want to recoup what was invested..With the advent of these rifles becoming more main stream and getting better & better press..it only stands to reason their prices will continue to rise...new or used...IMHO....E-bay's exorbitant prices had very little to do with the prices going up here...I feel folks here realized they no longer have to give their barrels & rifles away to recoup any of their money..after all...Why should they...unless they want to ?

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 06:11:45 AM »
Good old capitalism the price is determined by the market,  you know that supply and demand thing, If Addams and Bennett made a handi barrel for about $100 or less that would probably bring the price down a bit.

.... hmm

Wait a minute !  I though holding resale value was a sign of a good product, at least that what the Remington guys hold over the savage shooters. :)
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 08:01:55 AM »
I have sold several barrels on this site.I am a member of the "funny bunch"  I try real hard to sell at a fair figure, and I was always told if some one buys at your price,. then it was not over priced, for the buyer. ::)  Doug
a armed man is his own master