Author Topic: Leupold VX-1 vs VX2 ?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Leupold VX-1 vs VX2 ?
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:03:54 AM »
What exactly is the difference between the various VX models? Also how well does the friction adjustments (VX-1) work on the turrets vs the standard click adjustments of other models/brands? Specifically looking at the 2-7x33 VX-1 vs purchasing a  K series Weaver. No experience with Leupold other than greatly disliking one of their RX-1 rangefinders I purchased recently. Returned it for a very basic/no frills  Bushnell Yardage Pro Trophy rangefinder and have been very pleased with the Bushnell. Anyhoo.......school me on the VX-1 Leupolds.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Leupold VX-1 vs VX2 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:07:08 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline flintlock

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 07:32:55 AM »
As I understand it the glass on the current VX-I is the same as the VX-II of 5-6 years ago...I own 2 of the older VX-IIs and have a couple of buddies that have the newer VX-Is...As far as light gathering, I can see to shoot as long as its legal (30 minutes before and after sundown)..
I have no problem with the friction adjustments, they respond properly and once set they stay set.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:30:10 AM »
Folks can claim the glass on them is the same as on the old Vari-X II line all they want but it just ain't so.

The old Vari-X II 3-9 was and still is one of my favorite scopes. I could easily enough live with it on all my hunting rifles really. The friction adjustments work just fine. I've used scopes in silhouette competition with them moving them between each bank of targets with no problems at all. They work just as well as click adjustments.

But the optics I've seen so far on the various Rifleman and VX-1 scopes I've owned and looked thru owned by others are NOT up to the older Vari-X II line. I'd take an older Vari-X II over any of the new Rifleman or VX-1 scopes. I've not yet bought a VX-II that I can remember so am not sure how they compare.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:05:24 PM »
Duh..........should of read the FAQ on the Leupold site. Thanks for the link and the reminder to always check FAQs before opening the yap!