Author Topic: New to this!  (Read 496 times)

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
New to this!
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:04:31 PM »
Hey all, am a bit new to casting. I would appriciate it if someone would dumb it down a bit for me. a long while ago i bought a bullet sizer with some odds and ends. I have no idea how it works. i beleive its a lyman. Not sure though. do you have to have gas checks to shoot ones that you have made? Why cant you just shoot em strait outa the mould? sorry if these questions are rediculus but as i said i am completely new to this stuff. I have made some of my own round balls but those are easy and just for plinkin w the BP's. anyways, any and all info is appriciated.
Thanks in advance!
Hank.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New to this!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:52:58 AM »
You only need gas checks if the mould is designed for them.  A gas check mould will leave the base at slightly less diameter than the body of the bullet.  You can shoot them without a check if you drive them slowly. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »
you need to pick up a good casting manual like the lyman one. It will explain most of it.
blue lives matter

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:19:14 PM »
Ok, Thanks for the info guys! A light bulb just came on in my head! You said to get a book and i think i actualy got one when i got the whole kabootle at the garage sale. So prob solved! Now i just need to get home to look at er! Thanks again!
Hank.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 04:38:31 AM »
Yup the Lyman cast bullet manual is the best out there for the subject. Once upon a time RCBS put one out as well but I've never seen one of those. I'd like to have one and if I run across one might buy it.

When you get more deeply involved come back with any specific questions and folks here can help and will. The subject tho is just too broad to give you in depth help without you asking specific questions. A general treatise on it requires a book really and Lyman did that quite well.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!