Author Topic: Fist shim done  (Read 353 times)

Offline recondoc

• Trade Count: (3)
Fist shim done
« on: November 17, 2007, 05:07:20 PM »
Hey folks,
I tried my first attempt at a shim to fit my 45-70 barrel.  When I received it, it was a little bit loose on my frame.   I found that I could use mini-feeler guages into the hinge space to size up the fit.  With the forend off, I was able to just slip the guages in from the top and then close the action.  I went with a .003 as it gave me the tightest lockup.  .004 would close but the action wouldn't lock no matter how hard I slammed it.  .003 took a firm shutting but would lock up nice and tight.  I tested this with some firm blows from a rubber mallet and it wouldn't pop open.
Once I had the size pegged, I followed the tips found in the FAQ section on fitting barrels.  Now my barrel locks up vault solid.  I'm not sure how many rounds of 45-70 it will withstand but I'm looking forward to finding out.
Doc

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Fist shim done
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:51:15 AM »
Doc

You did good now go shoot it and let us know how it does .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 03:50:41 AM »
Fist shim done

When I first  read this I remembered my thumb shim. ;D ::)    OOuch!    Lock up was sure tight but  made the latch messy with blood.  Then I realized it is just a typo.

Great job with the shim.  I've been lucky so far.  Mine have fit pretty good without having to shim.

Sorry but I just couldn't resist.

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline recondoc

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:03:21 AM »
Hey Jerry,
I didn't even notice my type o until you pointed it out.  That would be painful as all hell.
Doc