Author Topic: What do you......  (Read 312 times)

Offline snuffer#1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What do you......
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:57:12 PM »
I have a chance to go bear hunting (black bear). I finally got a chance to see what the 45-70 will do.  I also will take the ruger BH 45 colt just for back-up. There will NOT be any boiler room shot! Anything that can have me for lunch will definitely get a head shot. I'm using 300 gr. sp's being pushed by 50 gr. of IMR 4198 with a vel. of 2020fps. The BH is loaded with 25.0 gr of Lil Gun pushing a 250 gr rn. If'n I get a shot with the mouth open I hope to take the top of his head off. Sorry boys, any dangerous game I hunt will always get a head shot!

thomas
Shot distance should only be around 50 yds at the max!
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: What do you......
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:47:31 AM »
snuffer#1

If your going to make a rug from the hide the head shot will be fine as the head on the floor is just something to trip over .  ::)    but don't discount a good heart / lung shot with either as both bullets will do a great job , also most don't eat the head so there will be no meat loss that way .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: What do you......
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:21:14 AM »
Your logic is flawed. No guide if you were using one would allow you to take a head shot bad idea. Put that bullet where the bear lives in the heart/lungs for the first shot then you KNOW you've got a dead bear. Some suggest breaking a shoulder or both as well which will also get into the lungs with bullet and/or bone fragments.

Head shots are mighty easy to mess up and only wound not kill and then you'll have a dangerous critter pissed off and looking for someone to get even with.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!