Author Topic: Removing all doubt!!  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Removing all doubt!!
« on: June 08, 2003, 07:42:13 PM »
Hello everyone, :D

I’ve noticed lately that a lot of people that writes reviews on items will bad mouth the item for not doing something that it was not designed to do. And other people will complain about the price of something and then complain about a cheap item when it brakes.

Does the phrase “you get what you pay for” mean anything? I know it does not mean as much as it did in time passed but sometimes you really do get what you pay for. And it is just as true in the shooting industry as in any other industry. There is also another phrase that comes to mind is “only a rich man can afford a cheap scope.”

A couple of people come to mind for this post, the old guy, name not to be mentioned, is not swaging because it cost too much and another guy, name not to be mentioned, just bought some stuff that he thought was swaging equipment but is asking for help in IDing the parts but they are not the only ones. I get so many people asking about load information and then saying some thing stupid like I’m too cheap to afford one, like were all going to sympathize with him or understand what he’s going through, like a reloading manual is going to really break him. Well I don’t!!

Exercise that little gray matter for something other than housing bats in the attic of you noggin. Most people make as much sense as the CIA or Military Intelligence and people are getting worse not better. The moral to this story is “don’t speak and let people think your stupid, than opening your mouth and removing all doubt.” :wink:

Donna :-D
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 04:18:16 AM »
Well, that's one way of looking at life, I suppose. But some of us are explorers, and some are not economicly endowed. At gun shows I spend a lot more time at 'Junque" tables than at those places where all the modern, perfect firearms are. More fun for me. My buddy, on the otherhand sticks to the well known, dependable, sure fire things. I don't consider his conservitive nature a detriment, just different. Also, having some experience in the workings of Intel collection/analysis/distrobution, just let me say that you shouldn't disparage  that effort in such a broad stroke. It's like saying all Californians are hippy whako leftest treehuggers!! We all know there's one... possibly two that isn't (aren't). 8)

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 08:07:55 PM »
Donna,
I understand,that as a Moderator,you don't want your Forum cluttered with crap.
But,as a Surfer who spends much more time reading then posting,I identify those innocent entries as little 'gems'. I rarely respond myself,but will always check tomorrow to see what kind of answers that he gets from everyone else.
Frank
Frank

Offline triggermortis

Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 10:28:26 AM »
Madam Moderator,

To save yourself future embarrassment, consider having someone from the local grade school proof-read your posts for corrections in grammar and spelling, particularly if you continue to warn us of our own shortcomings.  I refer not only to your entire post, but specifically to the final paragraph.

T. Mortis
Your worst day off beats your best day at work.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 04:12:28 PM »
:D there,

Triggermortis I never embarrass :oops:  myself nor do I give anyone else the power over me to ever embarrass :oops:  me. I really don’t care what you think of my spelling and/or grammar. :roll:  English is one of those illogical subjects that I have no time to waste energy on when there are plenty of worthwhile subjects of far more importance in this world. I seem to get my point across and that is all that matters. :wink:  Grammar, spelling, and the definitions of words change throughout the years, so you best be 100% sure that your right, and I doubt that you are because no one is ever 100% right, “for people that live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.” :eek:  Just to be far, you are right, that I should not be warn others of their shortcoming in spelling or grammar when I do not have all of my t’s crossed and i’s dotted myself. But I wasn’t warn others of their shortcoming in spelling or grammar, was I? If we’re going to compare apples then lets compare apples to apples not to oranges. And it's mistress Moderator to you! :wink:

Now on to more important and happier things, :-D  Kragman71 I do not mind what you have called cluttered with crap on this forum. Let me give an example of what I am talking about. I don’t have the time or patience for the person that makes a post asking about a handload to use for a .45 LC for hunting that when he/she says the they are too cheap to buy a reloading manual. First off a reloader should always have at lease one reloading manual at his/her beckoning call it gives safety precautions and not only the how to procedures of the reloading steps but the why’s of the reloading steps and the consequences if the steps are done incorrectly. Unfortunately not any one reloading manual has everything in it that is why more than one reloading manual is preferred among us older timers, we been around long enough to know how to stay out of trouble and a few reloading manuals is one of them. Now, if another person were to ask a similar question say regarding a .357 magnum and stated that they have read one or so reloading manuals and was wondering what the other shooters consensuses was on their reloads were. To me that would be a totally different post and one worthy of time and energy because the second person went into the question with some knowledge of the subject to begin with.

Talon I know your right, but once in a while you just have to - shall we say - vent some steam off. For you guys out there that are or have been married or have moody girl friends you know what I’m talking about. Talon I sure was not talking about such a knowledgeable person as your self when I was putting some people in the same category as a pet rock.

Donna :roll:  :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline triggermortis

Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 04:03:22 AM »
Dear Moderator,

I knew you'd take the bait.  To borrow from the wisdom of the last line of your first post, you have opened your mouth, and you have removed all doubt.  I've wasted enough time here, I'm movin' on.

T. Mortis
Your worst day off beats your best day at work.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 12:25:45 PM »
And you have just made my case.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 12:37:08 PM »
Boy I 'm glad nobody proof reads my German spelling.
Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Leftoverdj

Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 12:43:34 AM »
I'm on Donna's side, and I have taught English on the high school and college levels and have worked ten years as an editor.

There are vastly different standards for formal and informal English. Internet chat is about as informal as it gets. In this forum, knowlege of subject matter is important. Spelling and grammar are not.

I've never had any trouble following what Donna is saying.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
Sorry about that
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2003, 03:04:25 PM »
I apologize if my question to Id some gear I purchased caused a bit of a stir on this board.  I must admit that I know very little about swaging and this is the only board that I know of that deals with the endeavor.  I will say this, I am a pretty good handloader, I have over 5 manuals, I load over 10 calibers, I cast my own bullets and form my own brass for hard to get or expensive brass.  I cast one bullet that I size and fire in 5 different rounds, 308, 30-30, 306, .303, 7.65 Argentine.  I make up my own bullet lube.  I load from 11.7X54 Danish that I form from Cut down 45/70 brass and neck size with 45LC dies down to 38 Smith & Wesson that I load with my 9mm dies.  I have handload books that go back to the 40’s and almost everything written by Nonte and I have Sharp's as well.  I just thought I could get some help with something I would like to learn and don’t know much about.  I reserve the right to lurk and pick up a few pointers but I will stick to the cast bullet, paper patch and handloading forums.  To those who answered my question, thank you.  You have given me names of companies I did not know and more to research.  JB

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2003, 05:54:39 PM »
JB.
There is no need to apologize for asking a question no mater how dumb it might sound to you  or some one else,that is how you learn.

And as far as buying used gear when ever you can,well I do it .Just look in my basement or shed.There is 40 years or more of buying used and new things I wore out in those years but I save it for I make use of it or give it to someone that might need it.
I have a Ham Radio hobby I build most my gear because a new xcve is to expensive so I buy junk components and build my own,It still talkes all over the world so I gues that is a good thing.
But when it comes to spelling I dont think there is any body worse then me.I came from Germany at age 11 and they started me in secong grade to learn the language so was passed on through the grades as I improoved with the language untill I caught up to the level I should be,but in dooing so I skiped the important grades were it was important to learn that I comes before E except after C.So I do it like I did in Germany I spell it like it sounds.People know what I try to get accrost.
Just ask if you have a problem and someone will help you,I hope.
Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2003, 02:17:52 AM »
Thanks to all of you that allowed me to get over my PMS spell with grace. And I too buy things that I have no idea what they are but just to tinker with, I have a closet full of tinkerings.

Yes JB, no apologies necessary, if anything I should apologues to all of you.

Thanks again.

Donna
I’m a happy camper now.

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
spelling
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2003, 03:38:21 PM »
I hate like heck to misspell;but I do it,sometimes.
I doknow that it is not associated with lack of talent nor lack of knowledgeI can remember ,a while back,when a very successful writer was living not far from where I live. I won't mention his name,but he created 'Mike Hammer'
A mutual friend showed me an origional script from one of his highly successful efforts.It was full of errors;even omissions of words.
When you are trying to put thoughts to paper while the toughts are still fresh in your mind,you don't have time for spelling or grammer.
Frank
Frank

Offline briarpatch

Removing all doubt!!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 06:37:07 AM »
spelers of the world untie!!!!!!