Author Topic: Microstamping  (Read 3053 times)

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Microstamping
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »
Mr. Lizotte:

From first post:
Since a majority of these firearms are stolen, there is no need for criminals to be concerned that the firearm will lead to them, which leads to the current situation on the streets … they do not modify the firearm, even when they use it over and over in criminal activities.  

From last post
I agree stolen firearms constitute a source of crime firearms.  However, from what I have been briefed on, a majority of stolen firearms are acquired through organized theft rings, who stake out firing ranges, rifle clubs and gun stores.  They will identify an owner than follow them home, monitor the gun owners schedule and then burglarize the home.  Same with gun stores.

Would it not make sense that organized theft rings would take care of the microstamping, just as they do serial numbers?  As a statistic, how many criminal enterprise firearms have the serial number obliterated?

From last post:
First, if people do not believe in the honesty of 99.9% of law enforcement.....
Later:
The Failures of MD and NY are due to the fact that 99.9% of gun owners do not commit heinous crimes

So, the 99.9 % of gun owners have to subject themselves to this because of 0.1% of cops and 0.1% of law abiding gun owners?  Not sure where the real criminals fall into the stats. And it appears that this whole process is to satisfy 99.9% of law enforcement.  

Why can't they believe in the honesty of the 99.9% of gun owners?

Maybe they already do, but that doesn't make your invention sell.

Frankly, I think your rhetoric is nothing more than a sales pitch.  And your riding a wave of Law enforcement administrations hoping for a savior for their jobs, and liberals looking for utopia.

Its nice to have dreams though.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2007, 08:58:42 PM »
Here's the thing about microstamping.... it has to be either in the chamber where the force pushing forward marks the casing, or on the bolt face.  And it's a microstamp, which means that one wipe with sandpaper across the metal in the chamber or bolt face.... and you have no such stamp left. 

I just really don't see why they think this would help so much...
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2007, 03:34:31 AM »
...If you have 45% of murders where there are no witnesses, but cartridges are left at the scene and you want to cut the flow of firearms, where do you start ...

this one quote says all that needs saying. 
   also, keep in mind we have quite a few police and military members here (past and present), so be careful about suggesting 'required reads' as though we are uninformed.  maybe you have served, and maybe you havent.  but rest assured i lived it and you cannot tell me a damn thing about infantry or special warfare that wasnt learned by having been there and done that.  and among the members here,  i dont have the patent on that. 

and the atf data base,  who do you think foots the bill for that?  thats right,  john q. public.  the only thing i love more than a broken, corrupt government agency is the fact that i am paying for it.   

perhaps someone could find an ingenious device that stops glorifying senseless violence in entertainment aimed at the youth, something that would encourage people to love thy neighbor, a way to make our nations' daughters quite dressing like whores, a piece of equipment that would stop people from trying to take things that arent theirs.   

pie in the sky, i know.    but why is it that so many think the solution is to attack one of our most precious rights?   i get tired of this crap and even more tired of people who know what is best for me.   one day it's going to hit the fan,  and either some stuff is going to get fixed, or it is all going to go to hell.   at that point i will take up my issues with those that would impose on my freedoms.  what this country needs is a bunch of politicians hanging from their necks and for the regular folks to take the reigns back.   

todd-    again, thanks for at least having the guts to engage us and share your views.   even if we dont agree,  i respect you for the way you have presented yourself. 

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »
I think Corbonzo hit it right on the head, you could wipe the surface clean with an abrasive, or better yet shoot your gun on a bi-weekly basis for a year, that would change the surface properties.

The bolt facings on my guns sure do look different after a few trips to the range over when they were new, I clean my guns well.  Wouldn't that negate the marking on the shell sample that was shipped when the gun was new?

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2007, 02:20:17 AM »
it amounts to nothing more than an effort to raise the cost of ownership to a level that most can't afford to have one !
anti gun laws without passing anti gun laws !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline tomzuki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2007, 06:46:11 AM »
telizotte, microstamping will be another tool used by law enforcement that will fail as the spent cartridge sold with guns required by some States. Maryland found out that they spent more time and money on a program and did not solve one crime.

Do you really think criminals care about any of this, hell they steal 95% of there guns and could care less what technology you come up with. A criminal already intends on breaking the law, so what is one more having a stolen firearm or a gun that imprints a number on the brass.

The only people effected is us the consumer and giving power to the Government by controlling us to do what they want us to do. It is another way to increase costs to gun owners, there goal is to price us out of gun ownership. Look at the recent 25% increase in ammo and shooting supplies. Sorry but you can keep you technology.

Exactly!  Thats why I brought this up.  I see this going in two directions:  Kalifornia is still the most populace place in the country..36 million and growing, so it's also the largest market for everything, including firearms.  This new law will force the manufacturers to comply if they want to continue to sell their products in the geography, so the price will have to go up to cover these costs.  Everyone else in the county will just have to also pay up in the form of increased price points.  Think about the car business, at first they built a 49 state car and another for Kalifornia, but now most other states have adopted similar requirements.

The other is that the manufacturers may deciede that they will not provide product that meets this standard.  No more semi-autos sold in Kalifornia.  How long will it be before the folks in other parts of the country who favor gun control will take this up to restrict handgun sales??

I can appreciate the idea that a bad idea when ignored will fail and go away as one posted above.  We sure could then just shrug our shoulders when it fails to produce the intended results, but the tatooing is a good example of misplaced do-good-ery, WE COULD PREVENT HEADACHE WITH THE GUILLOTINE!
Tomzuki

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »
The problem in CA is the Hollywood types and other wealthy pay for the candidates making it hard for anyone sensible to run. CA is way to big of a state and it has been suggested that splitting it with a north south line would make a huge impact.

One has to wonder if the microstamping issue was taken to court if it wouldn't be thrown out. Of course one does have to consider you would be dealing with the 9th district circuit court so probably not.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2007, 01:02:38 AM »
what would they do if the gun co's asked for compensation from the govt. for adding the stamp at the govt's request ?

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2007, 02:25:21 AM »
Fat chance they'ld get it?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2007, 03:24:49 AM »
worth a try ,

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2007, 07:51:41 AM »
Has anyone stopped to think about the 90 MILLION guns already in private American hands?

Are we supposed to bring those to some police-supported location to have them altered?

Not me, baby!  If they aren't on paper, do you really think I'm going to bring them in?

This whole Micro-stamping notion is a FANTASY.  More Feel-Good BS. 

If the sale of new guns in Kali, or anywhere, was banned, does anyone actually believe it would slow down the gun trade?  HA!

All it would do is drive prices up!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2007, 02:07:51 AM »
tomzuki:  I like the guillotine idea..................good for politicians.............JMTCW.  Mikey.