Author Topic: Make own Scent cover-up  (Read 905 times)

Offline prairiedog555

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Make own Scent cover-up
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:46:45 AM »
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I read in a outdoor magazine a while back on how to make own scent cover-up.  I have used it and it seems to work and is a lot cheaper.  (I tried it on fish and onion and other odors and it kills it right now). 

2 cups of Hydrogen Peroxide
2 cups distilled water
1/2 cup baking soda

Original formula also called for 1/2 oz of unscented shampoo, since I couldn't find any I omitted it and it seems to work fine.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
Re: Make own Scent cover-up
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »
Sounds like a good formula. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the peroxide in the solution will bleach hunting clothes/camo?

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 01:51:55 AM »
The article appeared in "Field & Stream" - I think it was August of 2006.  It was a one-page article entitled "You Stink".  I've used it and it doesn't seem to bleach camo.
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
The only thing I notice is a slight powder residue when it dries, I think from the baking soda.  But I get that from the commercial scent cover ups also.

I have tried it on some pretty nasty Oder's and it works. 

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:05:04 PM »
 Save your time and money! There isn't anything you can do to prevent a deer from smelling you aside from hunting upwind.

Deer by all accounts can smell as well as dogs. A dog can smell 1/2 an ounce of plastic explosives hidden inside a tank full of gasoline and some say they can even smell if a person has cancer. Do you really think some funky home brew that you wash your cloths in is gonna make your scent disappear? You'd have to figure out a way to keep from shedding dead skin cells before any scent control potion is going to work.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »
I agree with your line of thought on this, I have seen dogs smell birds in a wind at a great distance. but I wonder if the degree of human scent might make a difference, like covering gas or tobacco scent. 
Then on the other hand my partner has deer grazing around his house, even after we are shooting.

I wonder what everyone else thinks, that would be a good general question for this forum.  I'll be it gets 3 pages.

Offline wanderer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:46:54 PM »
It may not make anyone "unsmellable" to deer, but from the sounds of it, the stuff might make long, shower-less trips more pleasant. If nothing else, I'm going to try it on my dirty laundry when I go camping. Thanks for sharing.

Offline schunter1128

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:24:19 AM »
A few notes:

Hydrogen peroxide slowly breaks down to water when exposed to light, so store your home brew in a dark place such as a closet. This is why hydrogen peroxide is often sold in brown colored bottles.

Also, I do not use ordinary hydrogen peroxide that comes in little brown colored plastic bottles. The stuff at the supermarket has stabilizers in it and contains a slight odor. Pure hydrogen peroxide is odorless. I purchase pure hydrogen peroxide from a local swimming pool supply store. Baquacil brand Shock and Oxidizer is the product I use. It comes in a one-gallon size blue colored plastic container. It is pure 27-percent hydrogen peroxide (no additives or stabilizers). You will have to dilute it with distilled water, down to 3 percent strength in order to use it in your home brew recipe.

This equates to nine parts distilled water and one part Baquacil product.
WARNING: Pure 27 percent hydrogen peroxide can burn or irritate the skin, so be careful.
A jug of this stuff should cost less than twenty dollars and should last for quite a while. In fact, one container should produce about twenty-six (26) batches of home brew. I spray home brew on my boots and apparel, on my hands and in my hair. It works great for deodorizing deer decoys! However, I do not spray it on my bow or other equipment. The home brew formula effectively kills bacteria and chemically deodorizes malodors and can also be used around the home for cleaning and sanitizing surfaces.

Baquacil brand Shock and Oxidizer is nothing more than 27-percent strength hydrogen peroxide (read the label). It can be found at most swimming pool supply stores.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 09:53:48 AM »
If the wind blows from you to the deer the deer is gonna smell you that's a given unless the thermals are taking your scent above the deer's nose. You are NOT gonna fool the deer's nose it's gonna smell you regardless of the cautions you take if the wind blows to it from you. Now what it does when it smells you actually can vary but you cannot avoid it smelling you if the wind blows its way. You'd do better spending your money on more productive things.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!