Author Topic: Another brass Question??? I hope this is my last one  (Read 432 times)

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Another brass Question??? I hope this is my last one
« on: November 23, 2007, 06:26:26 AM »
Does Starling brass come sized and trimmed to length?  If not is there any brass that does come ready to prime and load?

thanks,
Kenny

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Another brass Question??? I hope this is my last one
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 06:34:21 AM »
I believe you mean Starline?

Really all should be sized but yeah most all new brass can be loaded without sizing if you really want to. The mouths often get dinged or dented and need a little care but other than that just about any brand of new brass can be used without sizing and almost all the time will work OK. It's not what's recommended and most times not what I do but I have done it with all brands and both straight wall and bottlenecked cases.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 06:49:53 AM »
For straight-wall pistol brass like Starline produces, I just start loading it. I don't even chamfer the case mouths because I bell them with the die. I never trim handgun brass to length. For 45ACP target loads that procedure works fine.

If I were doing magnum pistol, then I chamfer the case mouths and trim them to length. There will be variation in length from case to case. But it's not strictly necessary trim to length.

Starline makes excellent brass.
Safety first

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »
I guess I should have checked my spelling before I posted.  :)   

I wanted to mass produce to target loads for my 44Mag but it takes me long enough to weigh each charge and then seat and crimp the bullet on my Rockchucker and when you add lubing and sizing, expanding and then tumbling and cleaning the lube off;  It takes me a really LONG time just to load up 50 rounds.  So I want to speed up the process a little without spending too much money.

thanks for the info,

Kenny

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 12:33:50 PM »
I NEVER weight each charge in handgun rounds. I drop them using an RCBS powder dispenser 50 at a time. I put 50 in the tray and two minues or less later all are charged. I tilt it and put it under a strong light to make sure all look equal and also count as I drop them to make sure the count is 50 at the end and the look is a double check to make sure all are loaded equally.

Even bench rest competitors drop not weight their charges. Volume is really more important than weight for accuracy.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »
The main reason I weigh each one is because I'm using the 240gr. Oregon Trail bullets and when I seat them all the way to the crimp groove the COL = 1.554" and I worry about pressure with such a short COL.  But I'm new to this and may be worrying for nothing.  I must admit that I would like to use my powder dispenser.  I my powder dispenser loaded up with powder for my 40 S&W right now but if I want to swap out the powders then how do I clean it out so that some of the powder doesn't get mixed?

thanks,
Ken

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 02:23:58 AM »
Just dump the powder that's in the measure, back into the ORIGINAL container, cycle the measure a couple of times to clear it out, and refill. There won't be enough residual powder to make a difference. On my measures, both mounted on the presses, and the stand alones. I put a piece of masking tape on it marked with the powder type to avoid confusion.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 02:40:11 AM »
Get your slef a Little Dandy Power Measure and just fill the cases directly!