Author Topic: Who makes the most robust 30-30 brass?  (Read 693 times)

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Who makes the most robust 30-30 brass?
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
My savage 340 is rather hard on casings, after only 3 or 4 firings they begin to look rather pregnant just above the case head. So far I've been using Winchester casings but I wonder if another brand may hold up better.

That or are cases formed from 375win as tough as some handloaders are reporting.

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Who makes the most robust 30-30 brass?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 01:30:31 AM »
Sounds as if the brass was just fine....rather doing it's job as well as can be expected in an out of spec chamber.

I use Winchester brass for 30-30 and normally get 25-30 loadings before I ever see any problems, the stuff just keeps going and going.  Then again, I'm not loading overly hot stuff, I have .30-caliber magnums for that.

Scott (measure your chamber) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 01:37:22 AM »
My Savage 340 in 222 had the same headspace problem. This can be solved easily by neck sizing or partial neck sizing the cases. This solved my problem without having to get a gunsmith. It could also give you better accuracy. My 222 is still a tack driver. I use mostly R-P, Federal brass.
   GOOD  LUCK

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
375 Winchester cases are quite a bit thicker through the web area and up the side of the case a ways. They were built for higher pressures than a 30-30. You can form 30-30's out of 375 Winchester cases. Have you ever reformed cases? If you have then you know what you would be getting into. They only way I would reform cases again is if

1. I could not get cases in what I was shooting - an obsolete cartridge or a wildcat.
2. I wanted some thing special like taking 223 Lapua brass and forming it to 221 FB because Remington is the only supplier of 221 and I want a better quality case for guilt edge performance. The trade off is a lot of work, higher cost, sizing, trimming, reaming, annealing, neck turning, ect
3. If I had 5000 375 Winchester cases and had more time than sense. Sell the 375 Winchester brass and buy 30-30; 30-30 cases are much cheaper and a whole lot easier.

The bulging would happen even in a thicker walled case. To minimize this effect; only neck size and leave the bulge alone. Only full length size when the bulge gets to the point of difficult extraction.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline John Y Cannuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »
375 Winchester brass is I believe thicker, resulting in less case volume, and higher pressures as a result. Back way of if you decide to go this route.
Canadian Liberal Gov't = elected Dictatorship

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Who makes the most robust 30-30 brass?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:37:20 PM »
Also in agreement with above.  Neck sizing is the key here.

You ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY do not want brass that won't form to your chamber.  If it doesn't you will have severe blow back which can mean severe consequences.

A friend of mine tried neck sized -06 cases in my -06 and they weren't close to fitting!  I wouldn't want to try any surplus steel -06 cases in his.  they would defintely split... and probably cause some human damage...
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."