Author Topic: They are still at it! The wolves that is  (Read 600 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
They are still at it! The wolves that is
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:13:06 AM »
The wife is fit to be tied, the Beagles won't go out into the yard in the mornings.  They will step out on the porch, sniff the air, then go back inside.  They won't go out till I get up and go out with them carrying a 12ga.  I don't blame them one bit.  Got this in todays Fairbanks Daily News Miner, my back yard borders the folks on Nelson Rd.

Wolf drops dog when owner gives chase

By Tim Mowry
tmowry@newsminer.com
Published November 28, 2007

Scooter may have a hole in his head and a wounded ego, but at least he lived to bark about it.

The plump 13-year-old schipperke/dachshund mix survived a wolf attack early Tuesday morning when his owner chased down the wolf in his pickup truck.

“I thought he was going to be dead,” said Travis Capps, holding 20-pound Scooter in his arms Tuesday afternoon outside his home off Nelson Road in North Pole.

Instead, the wolf dropped the dog when Capps pulled up behind it as it trotted down the road with Scooter in its mouth. Scooter, except for a small puncture in his head and acting a little dazed, doesn’t appear any worse for wear.

“He’s just sort of in shock,” Capps said a few hours after Scooter’s scare. “He got whupped up pretty good.

“I think his pride is hurt more than anything else,” he said, scratching the roly-poly black dog’s ears.

Chances are good the wolf is part of a pack that killed and ate a dog in the same neighborhood a month ago and that state wildlife biologists suspect also killed a dog at 19.5 Mile Chena Hot Springs Road last week.

The latest attack was nearly a repeat of the first dog killing in North Pole on Oct. 31, when a homeowner in the same neighborhood let his two dogs out early in the morning and one of them was killed. The difference this time is there was one wolf instead of five.

“I let my dogs out to pee at four in the morning and then I heard all this barking,” said Capps, who lives just a street over from the first incident. “I thought they were fighting with each other, so I ran out there and yelled at them.”

His golden retriever, Shasta, came running up the driveway, but Scooter didn’t. Instead, he saw a “black streak” dart across the end of his driveway and then heard Scooter yelping as the wolf carried him down the road.

“I was in my underwear, so I came back into the house, threw some clothes on, jumped in my pickup and drove down the road thinking I could intercept him,” Capps said. “I thought he was dead.”

He didn’t go far down the road before he saw the wolf trotting along, carrying Scooter in its mouth.

“As soon as I got up on him with the pickup he dropped (Scooter),” said Capps, a 37-year-old equipment operator.

Capps picked up the dog, whose neck was covered with saliva, and drove home. Then he grabbed a gun and drove back down the road. The wolf was trotting back toward the house.

“He was coming back up the road,” Capps said. “As soon as he saw my pickup he ran back into the woods the way he came.”

The incident surprised Capps, even though he knew his neighbor’s dog was killed by wolves a month ago.

“I’ve lived here 35 years and never had anything like this happen before,” Capps said.

After last week’s attack at 19.5 Mile Chena Hot Springs Road, state wildlife biologist Tom Seaton with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game in Fairbanks said the wolves could potentially target more dogs now that they’ve identified them as food.

“I doubt they’ll go on a dog killing spree, but there’s no doubt they’re looking at them as a food source,” he said on Monday talking about the Chena Hot Springs Road attack.

Capps, meanwhile, plans to keep his eye out for wolves in the neighborhood.

“This wolf pack has got familiar with this subdivision and has got a taste for dogs,” he said, standing outside his home off Nelson Road. “For them to come in this far is pretty ballsy.

“I’m not into slaughtering wolves, but I’m a hunter and as far as I’m concerned wolf season opened on Nov. 1,” Capps said. “Maybe I can make Scooter a little fur coat.”

Contact staff writer Tim Mowry at 459-7587.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: They are still at it! The wolves that is
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 12:40:36 PM »
Looks like its time for some folks to implement the "three S" policy!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
Isnt it legal to shoot them up there?If it is they nobody to blame but themselves.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 01:42:54 PM »
No three Ss here.  We just need to find them when were are armed.  I've been out looking, but never seem to locate them when I have a rifle with me.  I have seen a lone wolf, but it was across the flood plain at the time.  Too far to take a shot at.  But I'm still looking.

I have a trappers license with no limit on wolves.  As many as I can shoot.  Just got to find them first.

Actually we have two different packs and this single working the area.  I've seen the tracks of the packs. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »
Can you hunt over bait?

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »
Bait is not allowed, but we can hunt over a gut pile that is lying where the animal was killed.  But putting out bait is a no no.  I'm going out tonight (actually in the early morning) and try to call them using wolf howls on my Fox Pro. 
What Is A Veteran?

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 02:32:48 AM »
Would tying Fido out in the woods be considered "bait"? 

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:19:10 AM »
Sourdough, you might want to try a trick that some of us here in my part of the country uses to lure coyotes to our shooting area. Have a good place picked out where you want to be shooting from, like on a hill looking down. Go find the wolf tracks or the area that they're running. Carry a can of sardines and a long cord. Tie the can of sardines to the cord so you can pull it behind you. Punch several holes in the bottom of the sardine can and drag the can along a good route that the wolves will track out to where you went. Leave the can there and take up position on the hill and watch. Another trick, find a big clump of honeysuckle vines. I don't know if you have them there or not, but if not substitute for what is close. Also setting up on a hill where you can see down, pour bacon grease on the vines and wait til they come in.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:49:54 AM »
my friend lost a dog, and due to past circumstances, i  think a wolf is to blame.  wolves hanging around my place wouldnt last too long.   

Offline NONYA

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »
We may get a wolf hunt next year,they still haven't released any details,draw,quota,areas,ect.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
They struck again yesterday, over in Two Rivers.  Killed a Chesapeake/Lab mix.  The only thing left was the collar and some intestine.  Going out tomorrow and try and locate them again.  Taking the 30-06 and going to try calling again.  Heard a trapper shot two last week, he just ran across them on his line.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline NONYA

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »
Goodluck Sourdough,I may have to go all the way up there to get a hide for the wall,what are the out of stater regs for wolves?