Author Topic: Barska scope  (Read 990 times)

Offline amos

• Trade Count: (0)
Barska scope
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »
I saw a Barska scope in the natchez sale paper can anybody tell me about them.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barska scope
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »
I bought an airgun scope recently, stuck it in the freezer for a while, then in lukewarm water, air bubbles started streaming from the ocular lens seal and it fogged up on the inside promptly, it's going back for a refund. :(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:36:21 PM »
The old freezer test...   :o

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:47:18 AM »
I have not tried Barska Scopes yet but I will in a couple of weeks. I am putting one on a 7-08. I will see if I like one or not. I never hears of the freezer test and I think that is a good test for as the scope being sealed. my question about the scopes that say they are for Air Rifles. Wouldn't that be a low end scope for no recoil guns (Air Rifles) and so would their quality be expected to be low. I like the Freezer Test idea and if a scope is listed as sealed then it should be a sealed scope.  I see that Barska has several scopes listed as Air Gun scopes and now I am wonder about ,is if there quality is the same for all there scopes. I will test mine and see if its a keeper or not.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 05:49:26 AM »
Spring airgun recoil will ruin even an expensive scope that's not made for airgun recoil. :'(

Tim

Spring guns, especially high-powered ones, have a significant recoil resulting from the forward motion of the piston. Although this recoil is less than that of a cartridge firearm, it can make the gun difficult to shoot accurately as the recoil forces are well under way while the pellet is still traveling down the barrel. Most guns seem to respond well to a light, repeatable grip that allows the gun to vibrate the same way from shot to shot. Spring gun recoil also has a sharp forward component, caused by the piston as it hits the forward end of the chamber when the spring behind it reaches full expansion. This sudden forward acceleration helps to counteract the backward recoil, since the backward and forward recoil forces happen within milliseconds of each other, but it is infamous for knocking around and loosening the lenses and reticles found in low and medium priced telescopic sights, even those which are designed to withstand the (backward-only) recoil from high-powered firearms. On any but the lowest power spring guns, any mounted telescope should be air gun rated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 06:12:47 AM »
With that understanding about the Air Gun recoil, would you say that these scopes that are listed as Air Gun scopes, would be good enough for low recoil center fire?  I would think that they would work great on 17 HRM and other small caliber. I might try one on a Hornet or 221 Fireball. With me not understand the recoil of the Air Gun, I have always shy-ed away from these scopes. Maybe I should reconsider.

Thanks for the info.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 06:43:08 AM »
That was my thinking, I was gonna test it on a mild recoil centerfire(7x57) before I put it on the RWS, but the leak put the cabosh on that idea. :-\

Tim

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:25:33 AM »
I think the Bushnell Trophy started out as an air gun scope and then was marketed as a rifle scope.  What quickdtoo said was right.  An airgun will kill even an expensive scope if it has over 1000fps.  The typical Daisy want be that bad on one though.  If you are looking for a cheap scope, try the Bushnell Banner series.  They are almost the same as the Trophy except they are without the  orange hue lenscoating that is suppose to help you find game against a treeline..  I never liked it anyway on the Trophy, it made everything look funny.  You won't find anything better for the price than a Banner. 

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 05:02:05 AM »
I have a Barska 3x12x50 IR that is on one of my hmr's. I used it for fox hunting all last winter, Its plenty clear for night shooting, its been in the cold and back to the warm house many nights and hasnt fogged up yet, I had a two tascos that fogged up this way.  It seems good so far, but time will tell.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 06:05:14 AM »
I put a Barska 4x on one of my deer rifles last year - Works OK.

Ray

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 06:53:20 AM »
I have a Barska on a 10/22 - I don't think it was labeled as an airgun scope.  At any rate it has functioned very well.  I don't believe I would utilize any of their products on a centerfire regardless of caliber.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 06:11:01 AM »
I put a Barska 4x on one of my deer rifles last year - Works OK.
    Ray