Author Topic: windex tshe best cleaner just got better  (Read 1042 times)

Offline pistolero

• Trade Count: (0)
windex tshe best cleaner just got better
« on: June 18, 2003, 04:51:55 PM »
:D

howdy:::

I tried the recommended, standard windex when I cleaned my  revolver.... Got an idea for  a new formula.... 3/8 Household ammonia, 3/8  rubbing alcohol  (dryer) and 1/4 water...  It sure does work great on the revolver and  other things that need a good cleaning...

Just thought you might like to try it out and see for yourself.   It is real fast acting and complete...and cheap. It is about $1.00/gal.

have fun.... Bout got my walker sighted in... shoots great and sure do have fun.

pistolero gringo

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 05:40:08 PM »
I can't remember, but it was either ammonia or vinager that was supposed to be rough on case hardening. I actually use a lot of the 409 windex, especially at a match. I use bore snakes too on SXS and on rifle. I let the pistols ride and don't have any problem with them in a 6 stage match. I don't have any case hardening anyway, but I thought I had heard that. :-)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline John Traveler

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 06:13:39 PM »
BOTH ammonia and vinegar (acetic acid) are hard on colour case hardening.

The late, great Elmer Keith advised that a solution of 28% Stronger's Ammonia was great for removing jacket fouling from rifle barrels but cautioned against using it on colour-case harded steel because it will remove the colour.

Ammonia will also pit the steel, and that was the reason for leaving it no longer than about 10 minutes in the bore.

I remember using a wiping rag to clean up some spilled acetic acid solution on a chemistry lab bench and tossing the rag into my carry tool box and a couple days later found the colour-case hardened machinists tools had somehow lost some of their colour.  The vapours did it.
John Traveler

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 07:41:43 PM »
Here is something else that works. I used to use them all the time before I bought my snakes. Baby Wipes. I would tear one in half and shove through my rifle barrel from the muzzle and pull out at the reciever making sure it was all there and for my SXS I would put a whole one in each barrel and shove through from the rear. It worked good for getting enough junk out to restore accuracy. It is just a temporary fix at a match. My scattergun tends to choke up in 3 stages. I still carry them now, but I just clean my hands with them.  :-)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA