Author Topic: 980 USH 20 guage problem  (Read 661 times)

Offline AL Longwood

• Trade Count: (0)
980 USH 20 guage problem
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
I have a h r 980 20 guage and noticed when I shoot rem copper solids that the gun doesn't set off the round once in awhile.On the rounds it doesn't set off the primer is barely dented.I've shot lightfield and federal premium and never had a problem..At least 2 or 3 out of every box of copper solids doesn't go off.I thought the gun had a issue until I talked to a person when I was at bass pro the other day and he told me of three of his friends with the 20 guage ush who had the same issue.He said they found out that there was a issue with the remington primers being seated to deeply and that alot of rounds weren't going off.Evidently it is only an issue in the 20 guage.It makes sense because I've not had 1 misfire with federal or lightfield.Have any of you guys ever had this problem with the 20 ush and copper solids?I know alot of you shoot this combo.Any feedback will be helpful.Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 980 USH 20 guage problem
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:13:29 PM »
One thing that may help is make sure you pull the trigger all the way to the rear each time instead of releasing it at the break, the transfer bar requires it to insure full impact on the firing pin, if you release the trigger, the transfer bar falls and may cause weak pin strikes which can also cause inconsistent accuracy. Add in an issue with recessed or hard primers and you end up with failures to fire.

And Welcome to GBO!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 03:17:45 AM »
I have the exact same problem with my 20 ga USH.  It is unfortunate because when they do go off they shoot good.  I just can't carry it and risk it not going off when I need it to.  I also had a problem with the remington buckhammers and misfires.  I have shot winchester and federals out of it with no misfires.  Too bad the federals are $4-5 more per box than the copper solids.
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
I was watching one of our outdoor shows (Michigan Outdoors) last night. The guy had a 12ga USH, and when he went to shoot the buck you could hear the hammer fall, then a second later you could hear the audible click of him releasing the trigger and the transfer bar dropping. He did this three times while the buck was still standing there, every time you could hear the hammer strike, then a second later him releasing the trigger and the transfer bar dropping. He was doing everything properly, but that round was just not going to go off. Finally, he removed that round and put another in and shot the buck. Then he showed the camera man the round, the primer definitely had a dent in it from the three strikes, and it looked like it should have been enough to set the round off. While I think that instance was a bad primer, it could have been light hammer strikes. This definitely was not caused by bad trigger pull, he was doing that right and was able to keep calm enough to get the job done with a different round.

The ammo was Winchester in a black hull, from the front it looked to be the Partition Gold and not the Platinum Tips because the brass base on the PT is silver in color.

Anyone else see MO last night?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline AL Longwood

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 08:44:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies,Ive never been a big fan of remington ammo  anyway so this just justifies it. It was accurate when it went off but so is alot of the others and they go off every time.Ive never had a issue with my 12 guage ush and Ive shot every brand of ammo under the sun through it in the last 5 yrs.It appears to just be an issue with remington ammo and the 20 guage ush.Lightfield all the way from now on.Just as accurate and goes off always

Offline AL Longwood

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 02:14:31 PM »
Iv'e got a update on the ush 20 guage problem.Went out to the range and shot a bunch more lightfield slugs and after about 8 shots with no problem click,Gun didnt go off and upon inspection of the primer noticed only a small dent.Shot another 5 boxes and it happened a total of 3 times more,Not near as bad as with remington copper solids but still obviously a problem.The gun has definitly got a issue as my 12 guage ush has been a gem for 5 yrs with any ammo.Called h&r and they said it was likely a firing pin issue or spring issue,Ill post more when I find out.