Author Topic: Big M1a Disapointment  (Read 997 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Big M1a Disapointment
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:22:14 AM »
Well I went to pick up a new M1a, I open the box and pull out the rifle and take off the plastic wrap and give it a look over only to notice that the rear sight had been broken off. Needless to say it's getting sent back and I'm waiting on another rifle to come. You would think that when you pay that much for a rifle you think the company would send it to you in atleast a $10.00 plastic case. Anyways still looking forward to getting my hands on one of my own just gonna have to wait another week or so. The other thing that stink is I work night and had to go in late to work to go pick it up due to the shops hours and me haveing to take off on a hunting trip, I just wanted to bring it along for the heck of it.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Big M1a Disapointment
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:45:33 AM »
I understand your disappointment, but what I have been told by someone older and wiser than me is, "Patience builds character".

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »
What part of the sight broke off???  The actual peep?  Very odd...

You'll love it when you get it up and running.  M14 is highly sought after over in the sand box(es), and for good reason.

RR

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 05:46:33 AM »
I carried an M14 for a whole year on my last tour and even though its big and heavy, I love the extra punch.  I've got two of them now and have sold off all my AR-15s.  For me its op-rod or I'll stick to bolt action.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 03:26:09 AM »
Yes it was the actual peep that broke, The dealer called Springfield and they said they couldn't believe it either. They said they would just send a new peep sight so that's what I'm waiting on now.

I was in another shop and they had a socom sitting on the shelf and I took a look at it and I liked the gun but it also had a defect the top fore stock was cracked right down the center. I know I will take good care of mine once I get it into my possession but it makes me wonder the only two that I've gotten my hands on lately have had broken parts on them I really don't think it's them hence the price tag that goes with the rifles but come on when are they atleast going to make the packageing they send them in a bit better???????

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 07:00:44 AM »
Well I finally got my M1A with a new rear sight peep sent from Springfield I put it in and I get it home and realize they sent the wrong peep for the model they sent a socom peep rather then a standard. The difference between the two is the socom peep hole is twice the size of the standard. So once again calling Springfield yet again. Other then that I took the rifle out today and gave her a once over at the range I had some old 7.62 nato from i believe late 60's and some various hand loads from 130gr. to 180gr. I was getting good honest 2" groups at 100yards. I can see with a smaller peep I could probably cut them in half easily. The rifle functioned very well with no malfunctions. As far as the sights from the zero marks on the rear sight I had to go two clicks up and two over to get dead on at 100. Which says to me the rifle is pit together pretty well.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:34:21 AM »
What kind did you get?  Maybe I missed it but synthetic or wood, full size, national match, socom, scout?  I'm curious about these because I've thought about getting one, but the price tag has always scared me off.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 05:20:02 AM »
I ended up getting the standard model, with the fiberglass stock. I just ordered the ARMS scope mount I really can't believe I spent 180 on a Mount but I told myself I didn't want to scrimp on this gun. My Ar that I just sold I scrimped on and honestly was never happy with it.  Course I'm trying to drink wine one rolling your pennies for gas budget. So far I'm happy with it with open sights I'm getting two inch groups out of it at 100 I know it'll do a whole lot better with a scope.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 04:45:35 AM »
M1-A story ,
got one years ago , took it to the range and set the sight by the instruction book for 300 yards first 20 rounds hit the 300 yard plate ( 12in.X 18in. ) then 14 year old son did it also !
WHAT"S NOT TO LIKE ?
sold the gun a few years back ! yesterday called the guy i sold it to and we are trying to work out a deal so i can get it back !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !