Author Topic: Looking for a new binocular  (Read 738 times)

Offline Rat Rod Mac

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for a new binocular
« on: November 27, 2007, 05:40:02 AM »
I am in the market for a new pair of binoculars and am willing to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 if need be. I would like to find a pair of high quality, center focus, 6 or 7 power with an objective lense around 40 mm. Do you guys have any favorites that have been used hard and still hold up? Thanks for your opinions.   RRM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Looking for a new binocular
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 08:08:08 AM »
Bushnell Legend 7x42 is my choice. I've owned and sold off two over $1000 binoculars choosing to keep these as they are actually better in my opinion.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ScoutMan

• Contributor
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:37 AM »
It is difficult finding a 6 or 7 power binoculars with around a 40mm objective under $500.  However, the Bushnell Discoverer 7x42mm is in closeout right now for $220 and is a better binoculars than the Legend (which is an 8x, not a 7x).  The Minox BD 7X42 BR is on sale right now for $480 and would be a step up.  6 power binoculars are almost always going to be in a 32mm objective.  Look at the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32mm for $280, the Vortex Fury 6.5x32mm for $300 and the Leupold Katmai 6x32mm for $290.  The IOR Valdada 2B/GA 7x40mm binoculars for $450 have a very good view and are suited for those not wearing eyeglasses.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
That's BAD info. The Elite is Bushnell's top of the line and the Legend is next down from it. To me it is better than the Elite and it is one of the $1000 plus bino's I sold to keep the Legend. They have been made as both 7x42 and 8x42 as I recall but may not be these days. The discoverer is NOT better than the Legend.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 12:56:13 AM »
The Discoverer series has been discontinued but was the second in line under the Elite series. I have the 7x42 Discover and my son the 8x42 Legend. I like mine more. To me it's like comparing the Nikon Monarch to the Buckmaster scopes. One is better than the other to each person's eyes.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 06:59:57 AM »
That's BAD info.
Looks like there is a difference of opinion and fact.  As Dave in WV pointed out the Bushnell Discoverer was the model up from the Legend in their line and typically cost around $100-150 more than the Legend.  The Bushnell Legend never was offered in a 7x42mm.  The Discoverer is the only binoculars in the last fifteen years from Bausch and Lomb or Bushnell to be offered in a 7x42mm.  I've seen both and know the Discoverer is better and am not always trying to justify my purchase of a bottom end binoculars by saying they are better than those costing $1000 more.  Let's be reasonable here, which is what I was doing.

If one is to be technical the Bushnell ROOF prism binoculars product line goes like this in order of price, performance, highest first:
1. Elite
2. Elite E2
3. Infinity
4. Discoverer
5. Legend
6. Excursion
The rest below this not even worth consideration, including the Trophy.

From what I understand the Discoverer line is not being discontinued, only the 7x42mm model.  There remains 8x42mm and 10x42mm models.

An example of the price difference: The Bushnell Legend 10x42mm retails for $439.99 while the Bushnell Discoverer 10x42mm retails for $599.99.  Those are MSRP set by Bushnell on those models.

In any event, the Bushnell Discoverer 7x42mm for $220 is a great deal and would be a far better value than buying the Bushnell Legend 8x42mm for $240.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »
I paid $320 for my 7x42 Discoverer and I've been very pleased with them.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline tlk203

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 06:41:41 AM »
I have a pair of Leupold windriver 8x42 and like it  a lot

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
If one is to be technical the Bushnell ROOF prism binoculars product line goes like this in order of price, performance, highest first:
1. Elite
2. Elite E2
3. Infinity
4. Discoverer
5. Legend
6. Excursion

So, where does the Swarovski 8x30 WB's fit into there???  They are by far the best hunting bino's i've ever used.... peroid!

Last i looked, they were in the $700.00 bracket, and well worth every single penny, as they will easily last me the rest of my life!

They have already been through hell and back with me on hunts, and still work like new...

DM