Author Topic: Very upset with my Tracker II 12 ga  (Read 775 times)

Offline Coz

• Trade Count: (0)
Very upset with my Tracker II 12 ga
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:13:00 AM »
I bought a Tracker II 12 ga this year for more of a challenge while Deer hunting.

I sighted in my Tracker II 12 ga with a bench rest at my local gun club prior to the deer season. It was 2 inches high at 50 yards but not perfectly consistent. At 50 yards it mainly hit the black on my target. At 70 yards it was shooting all over the paper so I decided to keep my deer shots at 50 yards or less.

The other day while hunting, I saw a nice buck and had plenty of time to aim and shoot at it from ground level at about 45 yards. Now Ive shot quite a few nice bucks, usually every year with one shot so I know I didn't have buck fever on this buck, I was perfectly calm. With that said, I CLEAN missed the buck!! I said to myself, I couldn't of missed but YES I did.

I went back to the gun club and shot at 50 yards again, and it was ALL over the paper! Hit the black once.

I brought my trusty old Rem 1100 and I was putting holes through holes at 50 and all black at 75.
I guess I'm using my Rem 1100 with one bullet in it to take advantage of the challenge.

Ammo used, Lightfield Hybred 1 1/4 ounce.
I tried the Winchester loads and that was it for ammo.

I love the gun for its light weight and looks but not sure it I will ever use it again.

Just my two cents!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Very upset with my Tracker II 12 ga
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:39:09 AM »
I have no experience with the Lightfield slugs and only limited experience with rifled slug barrels.
Questions:
Did you do a thorough cleaning on the barrel when you got it?  Used or New, no matter, if the rifling is fouled with lead or plastic it could shoot the way you described.
Did you do a thorough cleaning on the action?  Very good instructions for this on the FAQ in the rifle forum.
How does the forearm fit?  I know this has a big affect on rifles, I am not sure just how much it could affect accuracy of a slug gun.
Each gun is different...the slugs that work well in one may not work well with another.  My smoothbores hate the Winchester and Federal rifled slugs, but the Remington Sluggers shoot great.
Just some things for you to check out and think about, if you're interested in keeping and using the Tracker II. 
If you decide not to work with it, you will have no problem selling it on the classifieds here at GBO.

Just my 2 cents.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:05:18 AM »
Cookie is right.
Clean the gun good and try some different ammo.

Spanky

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:14:30 AM »
Light fiels don't shot well for me either. try Breneke(spelling I think) seen them shoot 2 inchs a 100 yrds out of a Breetta 390 smooth bore
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline naptown bart

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:16:05 AM »
 I have one of those and it is right on the money spot at 100 yards. that is with winchester ammo. i have now passed that great little gun on to my son for his frist deer gun.  i wouldn't give, just clean the gun, and try different ammo.
i,m a handi-man!!   "ARE YOU MADD AT ME"

Offline recondoc

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 07:31:09 AM »
One of the biggest culprits in that situation is usually the scope rail.  If you went with the factory rail, chances are it was slightly loose and worked even more loose with shooting.   Try removing the screws, applying lock-tite (removable) to the screws, and re-mount the base.  I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it will work. 
Doc

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 08:03:08 AM »
One of the biggest culprits in that situation is usually the scope rail.  If you went with the factory rail, chances are it was slightly loose and worked even more loose with shooting.   Try removing the screws, applying lock-tite (removable) to the screws, and re-mount the base.  I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it will work. 
Doc

Tracker II's don't have scope rails. Open sights only.

Spanky

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 08:35:59 AM »
I've used federal 2 3/4" and 3" and never had any accuracy issues.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Coz

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 02:02:05 PM »
Hey thanks for all your input. I cleaned the barrel really well in between shots but that didn't help at all.
I guess I will try other ammo before I give the gun up.

Thanks again!

Offline bhod1

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »
I would try shooting sabot slugs down that rifled barrel. Many of the full size slugs are a little under sized and may not get the full effect of the rifling. Also the twist rate in most rifled SG barrels are more for the longer slimmer sabots.
I've always had good luck with the Winchester- BRI sabots.

Barry

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »
Don't forget, when the barrel gets heated up, after a few consecutive shots, it may change the POI.  That happens on my smoothbores and I have to remind myself to let it cool down and leave the sights alone.  Then shoot a couple more just to be sure.  Also, after I get it sighted in where I want it, I don't clean it again until after deer season is over.  I don't know if the rifled barrels are as picky about being cleaned as my smoothbore, but it's something to consider.  I know my Buckmark pistol is that way...it likes being dirty.  Just plain shoots better.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"