Author Topic: AR optics options.....  (Read 640 times)

Offline buckmaster_kp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
AR optics options.....
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »
Kinda new to the whole AR world....was curious what kinda optics and mounting options some of you all liked on your set-ups...

Offline Hazard

Re: AR optics options.....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:53:50 AM »
kind of depends on what u plan to do with it, be a lil more specific, me personally for what i do, i chose to top my rra midlegth ar15 with a konus 6-24x44 scope, i like to target shoot in the off season so i like a larger scope to get out and see things with u know and it works great for coyote and fox hunting in the winter, so for my use i dont really want a red dot aiming device ie aimpoint, eotech, pro point , you get the drift, i like to have some magnification and i dont do any real tactical shooting so they just dont strike me as a good deal for my ar, although if i wanted to spend 900$ +  on optics i would consider a trijicon ACOG i really like them but not practical.  so i guess what you need to find out is what u plan to do with you are there are many option to go with u just need to find what suits u best like i said all this is just from my point of view so take it for what its worth i hope this helps you.

adam

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:10:13 AM »
I have a Bushmaster "Shorty" that I originally set up as a patrol rifle.  For sighting, it has the original A-2 sights and a 4X 22mm BDC scope. The scope gives enough magnification to make fairly precise shots out to 300m or so, (quarter size groups at 100yds) and the opens can be used as CQB sights, or long range using the small aperture. The Trijicon ACOG, is wayyyyyyy to pricey for my applications & a bulkier scope makes handling in close quarters awkward. Both sights work well  with the collapsible stock in any position.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »
Leopold 4.5 X 14 on a DPMS LR 308, and a EOTECH on the DPMS AP4 in 308 cal, collapsible stock, and 16 inch barrel, and yes is good for close up deer hunting too!

Offline buckmaster_kp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »
Yeah...I have looked at a few various 4x BDC scopes...think I'm looking for something with mil dots or other trajectory compensation built in. The gun will mainly be used for target shooting and maybe occasionaly for predator calling...

Thanks for the help guys...keep any food for thought coming...

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 02:37:16 PM »
I use an Arms Tech USR as my varmint and long range predator rifle. The .223 is a great cartridge for this and the rifle will hold under .5 MOA. I mounted a riser on the Predator 12x rail system over the receiver and have a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 inside Warne quick release lever rings for serious target and long range varmint shooting. For running or woods coyote shooting I use BUIS from YHM; I have the A1 flip up rear and the flip up front sight, this mounted on the Predator rail as far forward on the fore end as possible, not on the gas trap block rail.