Author Topic: pop-ups for deer  (Read 570 times)

Offline lakestatebob

• Trade Count: (0)
pop-ups for deer
« on: December 02, 2007, 07:09:47 AM »
I'm thinking of a portable blind for deer (gun and Bow) and was wondering your feelings on them. I know they are O.K. when you can leave them out for the deer to get used to but most of my hunting is for one day or evening at different spots.  Are they working for anyone on same day setups? I need something highly portable like my climber but when the weather is bad this would seem to me to be an option.  I just can't seem to believe the deer would not spook from them.  Comments?

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: pop-ups for deer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:21:25 PM »
Yes and no, I have had both experiences with mine, the teepee kind of pop up. I had a deer walk within 10 yds of it not nervous at all and I have had deer spook on seeing this different thing in the woods. I usually don't camo it in with brush, etc. but I bet that would help too.  I beats sitting out in the rain or snow or wind even!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline lakestatebob

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
thats why I'm interested in one . Like you say it beats sitting in the rain or snow or cold wind.  I was even thinking of one of those chair blinds.  I know lots of people use them for deer but when I look at the responses so far I'm thinking maybe that not many have much success when they are first set out,  maybe they are worthwhile only if you can leave them out for extended periods and that does not fit my hunting situations.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:55:33 PM »
I think it depends on where its set up and if its camoflaged with brush or twigs. I wouldn't like that chair blind though, not enough room. With the teepee you can sit on a foldup chair, stand or whatever and there is some room to move around. With the chair blind there is no room for gun movement even. an added bonus to one of these blinds is you can sit out all day, even take a nap if circumstances warrant

Joe  :D
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 03:50:37 PM »
Hey,
    I just bought one of those pop-up blinds.  Mine is the kind that folds up into a thin backpack and I carry it in with one of those folding chairs.  I'm sure you've seen or likely have a couple of the fabric lawn chairs that fold up with the arms and cupholder.  I have to sit on something so I can out of it and that's what I've used.  I've only had my pop-up for a couple weeks now.  First day I went out with it I got setup on the edge of a field and saw two deer running across the field.  They were in gun range, but they didn't present a safe shot.  That was a case where I setup a brand new, pop-up.  Smelled factory fresh and I saw deer.  I don't think a guy could use a bow in one though, a crossbow could work but not a regular bow.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:35:21 PM »
that sounds like the one I have too. It helps to spray some scent killer stuff on it occasionally or use one of those fresh earth scent wafers and pin several to it. I have used the crossbow in it and there is enough room.