Author Topic: accuracy of my slug shooter  (Read 678 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
accuracy of my slug shooter
« on: December 01, 2007, 09:51:38 AM »
Had a shot at a deer! to say I was excited is an understatement! Clean missed it! Deer was so close shot right over its back smack into a birch tree dead center. Wow! what happened! this little gun shoots better-n-that! Day before we got rained out, soakin wet. So I had to take the slugger apart dry it out an oil er back up, thought it may have messed up my zero, so I checked it out! Down along an old tractor trail came across an old dead birch tree moved down the trail at what I figured was about 45 yds. leaned into another tree to steady my shot after checking to make sure all was clear and safe to make the shot. Steadied the crosswires on a light spot bout quarter size, an toughed er off. the results were amazing an sweet to me. Dead centered that spot! I paced the distance to that old tree, it was 56 of my paces!...Sooo, it was not the gun. sure was'nt the deer!...I'll leave it at that! Ha! Ha!...scout4 <><

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: accuracy of my slug shooter
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 10:19:08 AM »
Buck fever gotcha!! :o Happens to all of us, no one is immune to it. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline naptown bart

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »
that exacally what it was. buck fever!!!!     just slow down, breath,slow down, breath you get it next time!
i,m a handi-man!!   "ARE YOU MADD AT ME"

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
Yes! Buck fever! It was a nice buck! Had a tough time findin that front shoulder, thought I had it! If I ever loose that heart pounding rush, I'll leave the guns on the rack and go buy a lottery ticket!...well maybe,...scout4<><

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
That sounds exactly like my story. I was perched about 20 feet up in a Georgia oak tree watching a hardwood creek bottom. I saw a heavy beamed nine pointer coming towards me at about 60 yards. I thought I put the crosshairs right on the shoulder and let the 20 Ga USH bark. Deer turned and ran away. Clean miss.

I was a little concerned as I had a slug gun hunt coming up in Ohio. I found a downed log and scraped a 2" square with my knife and paced off 60 steps and got as steady as I could and fired two Hornady SSTs at the square. I walked up and the holes were about 1/2" apart. Nothing wrong with the USH, I just must have done something stupid.

Last week in Ohio I passed about 25 doe and six small bucks waiting on the big one. Finally mid week I saw a nice doe at a measured 54 yards and dropped her in her tracks. The Slug gun and the SST did a great job and at least I acted like I knew what to do.

The big boy never showed for me but I had a great week anyway.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
Glad you enjoyed our Buckeye deer FTW!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:05:32 AM »
I had a similar story.  I've had my 12ga. USHD for 5-6 seasons now.  I take mostly rested shots from my blind, but out to 110yds or so.  I've only lost two deer that I've shot at with this gun.  Both bucks.  One was just a nick (found hair but no blood).  This year's was even worse...  probably 90yds, broadside, rested shot, aiming at the lungs.

I don't know what happened...  I thought it was a good trigger pull...  He jumped and ran 30yds. and stopped.  I figured he'd drop over in a minute.  After a few minutes he just trotted off.  I figured I must have clean missed him, it was weird.  I'd never missed a boiler room shot like that.  Sighting in I was getting touching holes at 100yds...  I checked and I found blood.  My oldest son (8-1/2) and I tracked him for 3.5hrs through about 1,000yds of woods and the trail dried up and I lost it near the edge.

Very embarrassing...  The best I could do is tell my son: "I try to be accurate and I try to bring them down in 1 shot.  But when that doesn't happen, our responsibility as hunters is to give it our best effort to find the critter and put it down.  Well, we gave it our best effort and this one got away.  Let's hope that someone gets it or that the wound wasn't mortal..."

It's good to know that it happens to us all...

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:02:36 AM »
My 20 USH had no buck fever this yr 4 bang flops one 8 pt one 10 pt and 2 does all at 50-60 yards with buckhammers. Now it's off to the races with the .58 huntsman  Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"