Author Topic: Bushnell, Pentax, Mueller, Browning....So Many Choices....Help!  (Read 916 times)

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Bushnell, Pentax, Mueller, Browning....So Many Choices....Help!
« on: February 16, 2008, 03:25:52 AM »
I'm sporterizing a cheap Mosin Nagant 91/30.  I've got the ATI mount drilled and tapped, now I need a resonable inexpensive scope.  I'm looking at a 3-9x50 Bushnell Legend for $99+shipping, Mueller atv 114.00 shipping incld, Browning 3-9x40 $129+shipping, Pentax Gameseeker 3-9x40 $99 shipping incld, and a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3-9x44 $69+shipping.  Which one of these would be the best choice.  I've heard the Brownings are made by Bushnell and are the 3200 without the raincoating and the Legend is the same as well but with a two piece tube and no raincoating.  I can't decide...I am not interested in hanging a $500 scope on a $69 rifle.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated fellows.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Bushnell, Pentax, Mueller, Browning....So Many Choices....Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:10:33 AM »
Forget huge scopes with objective lens big enough for a celestial telescope. Anything over 40mm is just too darn big really. Scopes of 2-7 offer all the magnification really needed for hunting and anything over 3-9 is just plain foolish in my view. If it were a paper punching target rifle or varmint rifle I'd suggest more scope but not for a hunting rifle.

Which to get is your choice all listed are worth the money you'll pay for them. The Bushnell Legend 2-7 is an excellent scope as is the Mueller 2-7 and to me make more sense for your project.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 05:52:36 AM »
Check out the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope, I've got the camo version on a 500S&W Handirifle, tough little scope that stands the severe recoil, it's very clear and bright with excellent eye relief. I like it so much, I bought another when Midsouth had em on sale recently.  ;)

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=001256308

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=16&subgroup=10&product=6308
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
I already own a 2-7 Mueller multishot.  It's good for 200yds but when I crank it up the eye position is very critical.  I was wanting a little bit more magnification. I have also looked at a Bushnell 3-9x32 3200 firefly that is on sale for $119 at another website.  I have not found any of the sponsors to beat this price. Most of my scopes are in the 32-40mm range, I was thinking I was missing something with a smaller objective.   I went to Dick's this morning and they can't beat what I've found online either.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
You DO NOT want the Firefly and most especially if you're planning to shoot over 200 yards. It will likely hide the deer behind the cross hair it's so huge.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »
Thinking a trip to WalMart for something that says made in China might be in order.

Think I saw something last time there, about $39.99 for a couple of the cheaper ones!

Scott (fixed 4x is what you need) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »
The Mosin might be ugly but she shoots. A $69 rifle is not necessary only worth $69. I think a good shotter deserves good glass no matter how cheap it is.  I just don't think a $500 scope is warranted. 
I think I'll go with the 3-9x38 Weaver that is on sale.  It is $109 shipped.  Thanks for the replies fellows.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 06:03:31 AM »
Get the Browning.  It is a Bushnell 3200/4200 hybrid without the RainGuard.  That price is over $200 off list and about $100 off most vendor listings.  The Browning 3-9x40mm has been discontinued, so act fast they won't be around for long.  A Weaver V-9 is not near the scope that Browning is.  It will be $30 more well spent.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
I changed my mind and went with the Mueller.  I couldn't hang a Browning logo on anything that wasn't a Browning.  I know the Browning was the better scope but I'll probably only hunt with this thing once or twice a year, so it's no big deal. I have other rilfes. 

SBD77- Maybe you could get me one of your discounts, I've heard Walmart gives their employees 10%.

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
SBD77- Maybe you could get me one of your discounts, I've heard Walmart gives their employees 10%.

Don't work WalMart, but I do get 30% on name brand stuff(Nikon, Luepold, Ziess, or whatever there is).  Only get 10% on new firearms, and 20% on used(as long as they have been on the shelf for more then 30 days).

How do you know that WalMart employees get 10%?  Did they fire you?

Scott (WalMart watch forum is cool) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
Use to work, not for Walmart.  Now they sell my turkeys I raise.  Maybe I could use you on my farm?  I'm looking for another tom for my hens.