Author Topic: Open sights on the Ultra Slug barrel??  (Read 840 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Open sights on the Ultra Slug barrel??
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:21:51 PM »
I am mulling a few things over and have a question.  Will NEF put open sights on the 12 guage ultra slug barrel if I ask (and pay) for it?  I have a 10 guage frame that I am considering getting the 10 guage slug barrel.  The problem is that only Federal makes a load for it and they are hard to come by. So 12 guage is really a better choice.  Plus if Federal drops the load then what?  I want open sights on my slug barrels because I would be using them at close range and also think they handle much better without scopes.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Open sights on the Ultra Slug barrel??
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:22:08 PM »
The only way to know for sure is to call them and ask.  Here's the Toll Free number.

1-866-776-9292
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »
I will do so when I get a chance. 

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »
if federal stops making them you could get them from nitro    http://www.nitrocompany.com/ammunition.htm#slugs  or you can roll your own.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline AiredaleTerrier

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »
Please keep us posted on this one, xhare ;)
Handis:  357Mag, 7.62x39, 25-06, 308, 17m2, 20ga...

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 06:45:32 PM »
I am mulling a few things over and have a question.  Will NEF put open sights on the 12 guage ultra slug barrel if I ask (and pay) for it?  I have a 10 guage frame that I am considering getting the 10 guage slug barrel.  The problem is that only Federal makes a load for it and they are hard to come by. So 12 guage is really a better choice.  Plus if Federal drops the load then what?  I want open sights on my slug barrels because I would be using them at close range and also think they handle much better without scopes.

Thanks for the help.

They sure will for $45 plus $9 shipping. (that does include the sights)

Scroll to page 2 of the 2007 " H&R Retail Parts Price List" (that Tim has posted in the FAQ's), half way down the page under "Factory Rifle Sight Installation".
http://home.comcast.net/~quickdtoo/2007_Retail_Price_List.PDF
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »
I called customer service and it is basically as Busta says.  I was told 47 dollars if I send in my frame for the standard open sights (in addition to the 12 guage barrel cost).  My idea is to send in the frame and get the ultra slug 12 gauge barrel installed.  I will try it that way for a while, but I am thinking that I will eventually have it shortened to around 20 inches.

I also remember seeing camo stocks on some of 10 gauges.  I have the standard black stocks.  I may try to obtain a set of those as well. Should be pretty cool looking when all is said and done. 

I also read another post about changes for 2008.  Apparently they're changing the rifling of the slug barrels.  I may wait to see if that occurs and try to get one of the new barrels.  I always thought that the rifling in the ultra slugs seemed a bit shallow compared to other 12 guage barrels I looked at (understand that this was just sticking my finger in the barrels, nothing precise). 

Thanks to all for the replies.