Author Topic: Rem 742 bolt problems?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline pigguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Rem 742 bolt problems?
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
my nephew hunts with this gun in 30-06,a very accurate gun given all the bad press this gun gets in the accuracy dept.The problem is when you let the bolt go to load a round ,it wont close all the way without giving it a little forward assist like an AR style rifle,then it has no problems loading other rounds.Is there a cure for this?

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: Rem 742 bolt problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:34:48 PM »
Is there a cure for this?

Yep! loading one less round in the mag usually cures this problem.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 03:58:31 PM »
I have  a 742 in .308 cal. I haven't  had the problem you describe, but I'd like to try a guess or two.
1. If the mag is full( 4 rounds) when the bolt closes it has to push harder than when there are only 3, 2, or just 1 round in the mag. If you only load 3 rounds in the mag it might solve the problem.
2.Is the bolt brushing against either of the retaining lips on the mag?
3. When I was in the army we usually hit the forward assist when chambering the 1st round in our M16s. And now that I think about it I still usually do that on both my Rem. 742 and my Win. 100. 
Thats my .02   Mark
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »

You can buy a 10 shot clip for that model  - since it is the same as the Gamemaster 760

Offline old06

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:50:56 AM »
Buy a new factory mag about 20 bucks or so
Psalm 16

Offline woodswatcher

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:03:55 AM »
it most likely is a dirty chamber.

clean it well.
90% of all loading and jamming issues on a 742 are fixed by a thorough chamber cleaning.

FWIW..remember
the forward assist on an AR-M16 chassis was specifically designed for dirty chambers and faulty feeding.

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »
Could be either the gas system, or a dirty chamber, if so, take the barreled action out of the stock and clean the gas tube very well, you will see that the gas vents inside the stock and the soot can and will build up inside of the stock and can interfere with the working of the gas system, clean it good, then clean the chamber. This will cure the problem. JimP. ;D

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:43:54 PM »
I have on old 1970's era -742 in 30-06 and its a shooter . Coincidentally I shot mine yesterday and it groups like a bolt action .
I have encountered that problem and just give it a nudge when needed. Usually it dirty when it acts up.

Good luck
Robert
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 01:01:29 PM »
  The bolt rotates to lock through lugs. I don't think there is a cure unless the bolt head and lugs are highly polished. If it gets really bad the bolt arms will bend and get burrs.  Then the problem will get even worse.   This was what made many including mine get a one way ticket to the scrap pile.  It is not a bad gun if you don't shoot it often and keep it clean. Mine was never that accurate but I inherited the problem so I can't blame the rifle. The 742 has and will continue to kill many deer.  The main reason for the bad press lies with the way Remington usually handles all it's mistakes. Remington left all it's customers out to dry on the 742.