Author Topic: 23/4" out of 3" chamber  (Read 513 times)

Offline lakestatebob

• Trade Count: (0)
23/4" out of 3" chamber
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
I'm sure I know the answer to this question but since I don't know everything I thought I'ld verify with you guys.  My nephew just bought a .12ga tracker and the salesman told him to only shoot 3" shells out of it 'cause it was marked 3" chamber.  I told him the guy didn't know what he was talking about... right?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: 23/4" out of 3" chamber
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »
You are correct.  Actually, at lot of folks seem to get better accuracy out of the shorter shells.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »
You are right and Cookiemann is right, the salesman does not know what he is talking about, a sign of the times regretfully....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:25:13 PM »
A tracker with 3" slugs is not for the young  it will cross your eyes LOL
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:52:08 AM »
You are right and Cookiemann is right, the salesman does not know what he is talking about, a sign of the times regretfully....<><....:)

This is right.   It is a sign of the times.   I was in BPS the other night looking at some H&R's and there was another kid in there looking for a .223 Handi.   He asked the salesman behind the counter if the model he was holding was the heavy/bull barrel.   The guy started in with the "yup, that's H&R's version of a heavy barrel whereas other manufacturers use a larger diameter.....blah, blah, blah"....and he's grabbing another (more expensive) rifle off the rack that actually has a bull barrel on it.   So, of course, I interject, "No, that's a standard contour barrel.  H&R makes a heavy barrel, and that ain't it."

Well, I go off and consider my work to be done....and the guy finds me and thanks me.   He says he's sold fishing tackle for the last 20 years and doesn't know the first thing about guns......but BPS put him behind the gun counter because they were short handed that night.  After talking to him for a while, I suggested that maybe next time he just tells the customer that he's not sure and find someone who knows a little more about what the customer needs.   Sure, he tried to BS his way through with that customer......but he was grateful for the information, because he truly didn't know. 

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:08:44 AM »
That is not true. If it says to only shoot 3 inch shells on it that does not mean that you could put 2.75 inch shells in that gun. If you put 3.50 inch shells in that gun it would explode on you, but you can put 2.75 inch shells in the gun, that guy does not know what he is talking about.
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline lakestatebob

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 11:41:19 AM »
thanks guys, I knew this but... better safe than sorry.  I agree 3"ers are too much for me