Author Topic: S&B 180 gr. SPCE 30-06 on deer  (Read 1070 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
S&B 180 gr. SPCE 30-06 on deer
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:24:04 AM »
I took one of the lease members out to hunt this last weekend. He was shooting an old sporterized Enfield loaded with the above round. He shot two deer with it, I gutted, skinned and quartered them for him. He has been ill and could only make it out the last weekend of deer season. At any rate he hit his buck, a 150 pound 8 point about 10 inches behind the shoulder on the left side and as it was angling away from him it came out just under the shoulder blade on the far side. SPCE means soft point cutting edge as the bullet has a lot of lead exposed and a square shoulder that is supposed to make a clean caliber size hole in the hide going in and it does. The ribs on the going in side, one was broken with a not very big hole in it, the going out side ribs had a 2 inch hole and the exit hole was an inch and a half across, this deer ran 50 yards and bled a lot. The doe was hit almost perfectly broadside with identical results.  My take is that this is what most people get from their bullets and would consider this good performance.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: S&B 180 gr. SPCE 30-06 on deer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:37:57 AM »
A double lung shot in both cases?  I think it did good.  Was it a round nosed bullet? You said it had a lot of lead exposed.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:07:31 AM »
It is sort of a semi pointed bullet. I felt it was a bit slow in expanding but being a factory load it could have just been slow.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »
I use the 196gr SPCE in my 8mm's.
Absolutely devastating!  Looks like a rammed a small car thru the deer.

These bullets do need to be lumped in with traditional soft point bullets for use in non-magnum velocity rifles.  At the ranges I shoot (up to 200-250yds max-with most at or under 100 yds) these bullets are awesome to say the least.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Dillohide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:16:04 AM »
Think the 30-06 180 grain is for thicker skinned animals like Elk, Moose and the 150/165 grain more for deer. But, a lot of people here in Texas use the 180 grain on White Tail Deer. They do open a little slow on deer.