Author Topic: Just wanna vent a little  (Read 3000 times)

Offline dbo1966

• Trade Count: (0)
Just wanna vent a little
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:54:11 AM »
Ima troll and been lurkin for awhile but I need to vent a little.  Im not lookin for sypathy so here's my deal.  I was diagnosed last year with chronic renal failure, I'm half blind now, my Blood pressure is not controllable, I stay in a constant state of exhaustion.  I got to hunt last season and went out and hung a stand for this muzzleloading season but now i can barely get up a tree thats only 100yds from the truck and 10ft high.  Im discouraged as hell and pissed I doubt if i can really hunt anymore.  I SHOULDA PAID ATTENTION TO MY FRIGGIN BLOOD PRESSURE!!!!

I got buddies that help but I know Ima burden, least thats how i feel...I guess it just sucks that i love hunting so much...think I should just stick with squirrel hunting.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Bo

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Just wanna vent a little
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »
You have friends that care about you and I'm sure will help you with your hunting. I have a friend that is confined to a wheelchair. I have picked him up many times and either sat him in a boat for fishing or put him on my shoulders, climbed and sat him either on a ladder stand or in an elevated shoothouse. Only thing he couldn't do was trail a deer he had shot and I enjoyed doing that for him. Get back out in the woods, it'll help get your mind off things. Good luck.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline bcp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »
Millions of deer were killed by hunters before tree stands were invented.  Nothing wrong with a ground blind.

Bruce

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
I've come to a similar conclusion that maybe I should just return to squirrel hunting tho much like you I really can't walk far or fast anymore. Hills are pretty much just not do able. I've mostly given up hunting even tho it has been my life for most of my life. Such is the way of getting old I guess.

Still you say you have friends and if they are REAL FRIENDS rather than just the kind who use the word for everyone they know then they likely enjoy being with you and helping you get out and hunt. I no longer have any hunting buddies so am again on my own and as such mostly have given up on hunting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
If you have friends willing to help, take them up on the offer. It's pretty easy to not help someone if you really don't want to. Believe it or not some folks truly enjoy helping others. How many times have you heard someone say they really don't care if they take a deer they just like to get into the woods and see others enjoying themselves with there deer. A comfortable lawn chair and a bit of brushing in and you're set.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline dbo1966

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:46:41 PM »
I'll be fine fellas and thanx for your replies.  I'm sure my friends really dont mind and I've killed more than a few deer in my life.  Im sure Im not the only guy that gets down every now n then.  Truth be told I really dont care if I kill anything, I jus hate not being healthy and fully mobile...GB's right, gettin old is part of it. Besides I see more squirrel than deer anyway.  Again thanks for the replies, I'll be fine.

Bo

Offline ToadHill

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:18:15 PM »
Bad knees keep me on the ground and don't allow me to walk very far to my hunting area.  I found the answer several years ago while I was mowing some hay fields, the deer will stand and watch the tractor until you get about 20 yards away from them before they move, and they don't move very fast. I built a small hut on a old hay wagon and move it to my hunting spot about 2 months before the start of the season. Now I just fire up the tractor and drive up to the hut.  I've seen just as many deer doing that as I ever did taking the quiet walk for so many years.
I can't control my day, but I can control my attitude.

Offline watershed wildlife

• Watershed Wildlife-----------Taxidermist/FurBuyer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:01 AM »
i thought i was the only one who did that, i grew up  on family 400 acre dairy farm  and have it in family still and i was involved in a pto farm accident and a motorcyle one . i move the wagon from place to place with tractor  to were the deer are. but i do unhook it, my luck if i left it hooked up a game worden would say its a loaded weapon in/on a vehicle because they are attacted

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »
HI All,

I was put on 100% disability in May 09 for respiratory failure.  I am on oxygen 24/7.  Doctors told me to stay home.  Then I remember the Doctor who made jogging a craze back in the 70s & 80s died of a heart attack while exercising; stay in shape, just look good in the casket. 

I made myself deer hunt the hills of SE Ohio this fall.  Three trips.  I did opening day of muzzleloader in Ohio this morning (10 degress, cold for Ohio).  I decided that I am going to hunt as long as I can move.  I just hope a greenhorn doesn't shoot the oxygen bottle I wear on my back.

I have 3 friends who are taking turns babysitting me when I hunt.  They have all volunteered to drag my deer.  I am just happy to be in the woods.  So I am not too much of a burden to my friends I have just taken to ignoring the deer that are in range.  I have killed enough already.  All I can say is if you can only go 100 yards then it is 100 yards.  I much prefer to be 100 yards in the woods than sitting home wishing I was in the woods.

Good luck to all with their challenges.  Enjoy your time in the woods and with your friends.

Bikerbeans

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
 We built a 5'X5' box stand on the edge of a shoulder for a guy in a wheelchair, backside is about 4 feet high, front about 10.  Has a full ramp off the back that allows him to ride his electric wheelchair right into the stand.  Total cost was about $400, stand, ramp and roof. (we're pretty good scroungers)  You might try this if hunting on a lease or private land. 

Offline dbo1966

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »
Thought i'd check back in with a lil update....I managed to get over the "blues" and drag my fat butt out for a few days. I killed a small spike on the last day and my wonderful cousin heard me shoot and came over with his Rhino...wish i could afford one of those.  I told him I didnt want any help butchering him up but he did anyway.

Good buddies are a blessing.

bo

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:22 AM »
+1 on a blind don't need to be fancy.good luck stay motivated.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:30:22 AM »
Since I had a small stroke in july 2010 I have a tough time walking on uneven ground. Feel like I'm about to lose my balance & fall. I'm still working on how to get outdoors, but in the meantime I have returned to a hoby I left years ago. Reading. I used to love reading hunting & fishing stories And travel as well. So I;m buying books again and enjoying them greatly.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline AR50shooter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Retired Correction Sgt.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
It sure does suck getting older.I've had to have two discs removed in my neck at 47 years old. Had a heart attack at 48 years old. Had a quadruple bypass at 49. Then P.A.D. (blocked artery) in left leg the same year. My cholesterol is still way to high and can't seem to get it down. What's next??? I know exactly how you feel when you're down. Sometimes you wonder if it's worth going through it anymore. Believe me, it is. It took me some time before I realized it but I finally did. Just think about your loved ones and how much joy they bring into your life. If you do that you can't help but smile from ear to ear, and you even start to feel better. There is nothing better then family and friends that stick by your side through it all. Keep your chin up and God Bless!!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
Where do you live?  Maybe I can take you.  I have several box stands on the ground and they are just as effective as those in the air.  In fact, my dog prefers to sleep in the ground stands while I hunt.  I sleep in them myself.  Highlight of most afternoons.

Offline dbo1966

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 02:08:31 PM »
This is an old post, lol.  Im hangin in there.  I bought a 4 wheeler that i use now. I took 1 buck during ML and another during rifle, both while sittin on the 4 wheeler.
I usually give my buds a ride to their stand or drag their deer out now.  So i feel like im pulling my weight.

Btw deer, squirrels and turkeys dont seem to be too wary of atv's, so if your disabled like me and can afford one, i reccomend getting one.

Offline popplecop

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
I too am in not the best physical shape.  Had the artificial knee in my right leg replaced a year ago, first on lasted 21 years, also have an artificial hip on that side.  Going on 73 years old and have COPD, but still duck hunt, a little tough to get to some of the blinds, but manage.  Deer hunt and turkey hunt but keep my distances within reason and set my ample butt on a stool.  Going back to squirrel hunting this fall, really have missed it.  Sadly my grouse and woodcock hunting is getting less and less, but do have  the memories.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.

Offline thumper113

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Just wanna vent a little
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 04:09:31 PM »
Like many of you on here I've had to modify my activities due to arthritis.  Diagnosed at 25 and 22 years later sitting still in the cold just hurts to much to be fun anymore.  My brother in law thought I was nuts when I told him any time he made a kill to call and I'd come help drag it out and clean it.

A lot of the hunting for me had been sharing the hunt immediately after someone's success and helping each other out.  It was the comradery.

The fishing I enjoy most is when I can take someone else and put them on the fish and them limit out easily.

So if another sportsman is offering help, take it.  They are offering help because YOU are a part of the reason they enjoy doing it.

I'm glad you were able to find a way to give back.

And as far as the venting, vent brother vent.  None of us are getting any younger and will need someone to listen too.
God Bless Our Troops!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »
Dont hunt any more, but have been thinking about starting again at age 71  ::) Use to take my buddies grandson fishing, then my buddie passed away and grandson wound up having to move back with mother and her druggie boyfriend. My 12 year old grand daughter goes fishing with me every chance she gets (her mother even let her skip school a couple times) . Only have a 12 ft alum. boat with 15 hp motor but it does everything I want to on the lakes around here. I also have a standing invitation to take a active military member with me anytime. (am retired Navy myself). Have been slowed down the last 6 or7 yrs due to probs with the ticker. Have had 4 stents put in, and had to have one roto routered, and one replaced. Cant handle walking up hill very well as run out of breath, (COPD) but the saving grace for getting out is I go shooting a lot and also go shooting with one of the members on GB.

Gun Runner

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
I shot my first shot in 1951 - shot my last in 2005 due to health issues.   I accepted it and moved on.   There is life after hunting, not much of one, but life none the less.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 10:54:43 PM »
Does any of your states have disabled hunter permits?  In Oregon our disabled hunter permit is certainly worth the perks.   If you don't see well, it will even let someone else shoot your game for you.  With my bum legs, I could shoot from a quad if I had one on logging roads or from the truck. 

I can also get a cow elk on with a bull tag.  This alone is worth it. I put in for the draw for a cow elk tag for 10 years and never got one.  To bad it won't let me bait bears...

Tony