Author Topic: Got any tricks or gimmicks for loading a deer on to a truck?  (Read 4029 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Got any tricks or gimmicks for loading a deer on to a truck?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 04:58:22 AM »
Cement man,
That's supposed to be "MMMMMM !!" not "HMMMMM ?". Those little crockpot deer or as a some refer to them as "suitcase deer", sure are tasty and yeah TENDER !

HWD

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 09:44:31 AM »
We call them milklips, and they cook and taste like tender veal.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »
Quote from: deltecs
tie the deer to the blocks, hoist the running line, pickup the deer and then it can easily be laid in the bed of the truck on plastic...

This is the best and cheapest suggestion of the lot.  Sportsman's Guide sells an inexpensive $19.97 hoist and gambrel http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=356151.  I ultimately changed out the poly-line with 120 feet of continuous 7-strand 700 pound test parachute cord and have used it for hundreds of deer, both mine and others. 

Temp tie the upper block to an overhead limb while standing on the tailgate.  Hog tie the deer legs together with a piece of line.  Hoist the deer to the tailgate.  With a little forethought and parking the truck right, the deer swings onto the tailgate without your having to push.  Just lower the line.  No gambrel needed.  Piece of cake.  Take down in a flash.

No sweat, no strain, no pain.  Way to go deltecs.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 10:27:48 AM »
Do u guys that use these block and tackle in the deer woods take a latter with u?? that would look funny some body ask u are u going to go paint no i am going deer hunting .WITH a ladder lmao guess it dont matter what it looks like as long as it works well for a person
1 shot 1 kill

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 12:28:10 PM »
Do u guys that use these block and tackle in the deer woods take a latter with u?? that would look funny some body ask u are u going to go paint no i am going deer hunting .WITH a ladder lmao guess it dont matter what it looks like as long as it works well for a person

I'm a power lineman by trade before doing engineering, so line and mechanical advantage was second nature to me.  Let me explain.  Take the bitter end of a long line used to pull the block and tackle, tie a stick or rock to it and throw it over the limb.  Make a bowline on a bight on the block and tackle side of the limb, hook the blocks into the bowline on the bight, hoist the block and tackle up using the bitter end of the line to the top of the limb and then tie it off at the base of the tree.  With the loose running line now hoist up the running block with the deer tied to it and swing it into the truck, lower blocks, untie deer, untie bitter end at tree, let standing block fall, tighten both blocks, coil line and drive off.  No ladder, just $20.00 worth of tackle and some line.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
I normally carry a short stepladder in my pickup or my small extension ladder.

I do have a couple of other options that I have put to use.  When a buck is a long ways from the road or to heavy to drag I normally hang it, and cut it in half or quarters. Sometimes if I shoot a deer just before dark I will hang it and come back early the next morning.  

I carry a small pulley and about thirty feet of parachute cord in my daypack to use when hanging a deer in the woods.  Admittedly it is still work.

I also carry a small backpacking double edge meat saw.  The wife gave it to me 25-years ago and it is great.  I think it would be handy for cutting limbs for a temporary shelter if need be.

How it worked this past season:

After killing my buck this year I gutted it, and hid it behind some brush.  I then created a waypoint in my gps so I could find it later.  I then hiked back to my pickup so that I could get it a little closer and for equipment.

A couple of key Items was a pulley similar to this setup:
 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_20582?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P2_1

I fasten a length of parachute cord to a rock and tossed it over a high limb on a Pine tree.  I then fasten one end of the cord to the eye on the pulley and with the rope in the pulley extend I pulled the top of the pulley up into the tree.  I then went around the tree a couple of times so the tension of the deer's weight was not on the knot.

While the buck was still on the ground I split the pelvis using the saw blade on my Leatherman Knife.  The saw blade on the knife was just right and did not put the bladder at risk.

The Gamble I have is similar to the one pictured, and I do not like it.  When lifted a deer pull normally starts from the side and one or both legs come lose.  I tie each one in place with parachute cord.

After skinning the deer out and sawing it in half I lowered it on to a blue tarp I grabbed back at the pickup.  I bundled the deer in the tarp, and dragged it out to the pickup.  At the pickup I opened a clean tarp in the bed along with a couple of deer bags.  I then lifted each half on to the tarp in the pickup bed.  

With the deer in the pickup my next worry was getting down the old washed out 4x4 road without damage.  Two hours after hitting a main dirt road I was able to call the wife and tell her to get the jeep out of garage because I had a deer to put in it.  

P.S.  I did use the little step ladder.  As I get older, and the beds of pickups get taller from the ground it is nice to have the little ladder to assist me getting in and out of the pickup bed.  I can do it without, but I like easy in, easy out.  I will use the step ladder when setting up camp.  It allows me to fasten ropes high in trees for shelters over the kitchen and eating area.  I also use it for putting up a game pole.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 08:15:19 AM »
I fill for u guys that have to 1/4 out your deer to take it to your truck,or drag it a 1/.4mile or half mile that would suck, dont get me wrong i have drug a few deer a whase and drove up to them and loaded them up, but now days the land owner that i hunt on and he hunts also we just drive across his farmed feilds and drive right up to the deer that in the pasture or use his 4 wheeler
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Perkins

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
if a deer is to heavy to load it:
-shoot  a smaller one,
-don't shoot at all,
-or in my case: have a few strong girls in your life.

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
Get you a tri-fold aluminum ramp such as is used for loading and unloading a three-wheeler and mount an elec. winch such as are mounted on a four-wheeler and mount it to you pick-up bed at the front by the cab.Put ramp down and hook winch onto your deer.Push the button and watch it load itself into your truck.
Good Luck,
Rock
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »
I guess I'm missing something here.

For me, with the deer I seem to get, I just walk up to the truck, pull the deer out of my game pouch and toss it in the back of the truck.  The hardest part if finding it in the back of the truck when I get to the check station.

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »
Are you shootin that much meat off of them or are they just litty bitty deer?
hehehe j/k
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »
He's got his telescopic sight mounted backwards.  All the deer he's seeing ARE little bitty from that perspective.  I'd recommend tweezers for those deer jschance.

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 04:57:10 AM »
I'll have to try the trick of swapping around my scope, maybe that'll help.  :D  And I've definitly gotta get a smaller knife.;)

I think I must just be using too much reducer on my bullets, but at least the spot remover seems to be working.
.(Might be that I exaggerate just a bit on how small they are too)

I guess it's just that I'm not much of a trophy hunter, and those smaller deer are just too tasty.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 06:03:08 AM »
I have to shoot smaller deer.  It was so long that I didn't see one that I wore my bullets down taking them in and out of the gun all the time.  Now I can't tilt the gun forward anymore either because they fall out of the barrel.   :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.