Author Topic: Is it safe? How should it be stored for long term?  (Read 491 times)

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Is it safe? How should it be stored for long term?
« on: December 07, 2007, 11:14:13 AM »
    I was lucky eneogh to get a 1/3 scale mountain howitzer at the tender age of 19.  It was cast in a foundry of brass,turned and bored to scale, I think   1 3/8 bore.  I shot this thing a fair amount back then, 20 years ago. D size batteries were the projo's ff black the powder of choice.  It was rarely cleaned and the bore turned green more than once, young and dumb.  I cleaned it 10 years ago but the bore had pitted a little back in the chamber area and it was shelved as part of my past.  I have thought about bringing it back out for a little play but worry if it is safe or not to shoot.  I know the smith was cannon savey and it has a smaller chamber area and wall thinkness is something in the order of 3/4 min and 1" or better at the chamber area.  Thoughts?  If more info is needed I wil gladly furnish, thanks for any advice.  Thanks SN

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Is it safe? How should it be stored for long term?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:52:57 PM »
Best thing for starters is for you to give us all the dimensions of the barrel, both internal and external.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »
Sorry for the slow response.  I am one of the lucky guys who has been without power for eight days.   I will measure it up today and post tommarow.    Will the bell front and rear small diameter front and small diameter rear and bore dimensions be eneogh?   There is taper on the barrel but not much.  SN

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
Actually the critical measurments would be the diameter over the breech over the powder chamber and the diameter of the powder chamber.