Author Topic: Richard's Microfit Stocks?  (Read 675 times)

Offline MagSav

• Trade Count: (3)
Richard's Microfit Stocks?
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:10:42 AM »
Anybody ever try this company out for wood stocks?  How did you like it?  Thanks
Don't BS me!

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: Richard's Microfit Stocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »
 I've installed a couple and have been impressed both times. But I'll warn you now, if you don't want to do any wood work these stocks are NOT for you.

Here is a pic of my latest richards stock

Offline jrhweldon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »
haven't tried their press fit stocks yet but their other stocks are good they leave enough wood to get a good tight fit on the barrel and action ,  just a little elbow grease to get it there my only complaint is the outside is left with a lot rougher finish than Boyds , a lot more sanding to get it slick , but Richards offers a lot more styles , oh well I guess you can't have every thing I hope this answered some of your questions jrhweldon

Offline MagSav

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:49:09 PM »
krochus, that's a nice stock.  What grade wood is that?
Don't BS me!

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »
krochus, that's a nice stock.  What grade wood is that?

Standard grade, straight line thumbhole

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »
Ive done a Boyds and a Richards. The Boyds was almost a a final sand for as finish. The Richards looked like it had been cut out with a chainsaw. It also took forever to get it. I will never buy another one of the Richards.
Ron

Offline MagSav

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:21:48 AM »
Ive done a Boyds and a Richards. The Boyds was almost a a final sand for as finish. The Richards looked like it had been cut out with a chainsaw. It also took forever to get it. I will never buy another one of the Richards.
Ron

I already sent them a piece of walnut with a feather crotch in the butt.  I guess I'll have to hope for the best.
Don't BS me!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:24:33 AM »
I have a Richards stock on my 6.5 Swedish Mauser.  It is a beautiful stock and very well made.  It fits the rifle perfectly.  It is a gorgeous stock. 

My only gripe is that it took 6 months to get it because Richards won't cut just one stock, they wait for a bunch of orders and then fill the orders in one shot.  And they were pricey, more than I thought a stock should cost. 

However, I also have a Boyds stock for a 98 Mauser.  This stock came ready for final bedding and sanding.  I prefer finishing my stocks by hand using my own products as with the Boyds stock - gives me a sense of ownership.  The Richards came final sanded and ready for stain or oil.  The price on the Boyds was much more attractive.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline MagSav

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:43:35 PM »
It costs $95.00 when you send in your own wood to Richards.
Don't BS me!